Please help identify if RGB input is analog or digital. And what's linear RGB?

spikespiegelbebop

Joined Nov 30, 2021
So it's been a while since I've become a hobbyist when it comes to retrogaming. One of the things that I've been doing successfully is RGB modding CRT TVs. But since not everything are flowers, there are things that will always pop in to generate doubt, one of these things is this: identifying analog and digital video signals on ICs.

I've come accross this awesome 14" Panasonic TV set:
20240618_113234.jpg

And now I don't want to lose it, but firstly I need to know if its microcontroller has analog RGB. Checked the service manual, it is said that the microcontroller has RGB / YUV (pins 46, 47 and 48), as you guys can see in the image, so I've decided to check the datasheet to see if it is digital or analog rgn and it only made things worse... Well, look at this:

"Linear RGB or YUV input with fast blanking for external RGB/YUV sources. The Text/OSD signals are internally supplied from the µ-Controller/Teletext decoder"

Screenshot_20240617-092338_ReadEra.jpg

Screenshot_20240617-092210_Drive.jpg
This is from the datasheet:
https://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/download/1315009/PHILIPS/TDA9381PS/N2.html

The Tv service manual:
https://elektrotanya.com/panasonic_tc14a12_tc20a12_chassis_br3l_sch.pdf/download.html

So can I use analog rgb on those pins or...?

Also, how can I identify digital inputs on these ICs, only if they have y pb pr written in the diagram?

And what is linear RGB in this context?

Please answer all the three questions, I need to know this information.

ronsimpson

Joined Oct 7, 2019
TDA9381.pdf Try this link. I have/had the data book.
So can I use analog rgb on those pins or...?
yes
And what is linear RGB in this context?
Not certain. "linear RGB" appears only once in 118 pages of the data sheet. I think it is "analog input". Early computers had video out that was "TTL" not analog. They often had Red on/off and no gray scale. Some had Red_birght, and Red_dim all with TTL levels.

spikespiegelbebop

Joined Nov 30, 2021
I don't get it. In one line you said the input is analog rgb, but in another line you said TTL isn't analog. So can I inject analog rgb in this IC or not?

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
TTL is a special case of "analog" with only two voltages. Computer RGB as in the VGA (Video Graphics Array) connector does consist of three variable voltages to describe the color, and other connections to synchronize the sweep frequencies. And additional connections for other stuff. One caution is that those VGA outputs on computers can provide different sweep frequencies and video resolutions all on exactly the same pins.

spikespiegelbebop

Joined Nov 30, 2021
TTL is a special case of "analog" with only two voltages. Computer RGB as in the VGA (Video Graphics Array) connector does consist of three variable voltages to describe the color, and other connections to synchronize the sweep frequencies. And additional connections for other stuff. One caution is that those VGA outputs on computers can provide different sweep frequencies and video resolutions all on exactly the same pins.
Thank you.