please fast help

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
What is a "Prompt non-sinusoidal"????

Do you perhaps mean a square wave?

Please use a title other than "help", or "please fast help"...

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
Well, pretty much anything is non-sinusoidal. Square waves, triangle waves, sawtooth, PWM, PPM. But, due to the Fourier theorem, pretty much any of these waves can be specified with an infinite sum of sine waves at fundamental frequencies.

I could be here for ages. You need to specify what waves you are interested in; it is no good to say "not sine waves".

u-a-l

Joined Jun 12, 2010
tem66 i need to calculate harmonic of non-sinusiodal using pic so i have to calculate an , bn , a0 of fourier transformer and that's need funtion of wave and this my proplem

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
Calculating a fourier transform on anything other than a dsPIC will not work, there is simply not enough power on one...

A dsPIC or appropriate DSP will work well. These have all the requirements: multiply-accumulate instructions, two 40-bit accumulators, 16-bit shifting and so on.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
He's saying your pics not powerful enough to do what you want to do. You will need a DSpic to make it work. DSpics are made to process signals and have special functions and hardware to do this. A normal pic does not.

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
A dsPIC would be able to do audio fast fourier transforms (FFTs). Just about. I mentioned them because I am personally familiar, though there are plenty of other devices which have an MCU + DSP integrated onto one chip which are capable of what you require. The dsPIC has a whole slew of instructions like accumulate, multiply-accumulate (not to mention hardware multiply and divide assist), barrel shift, indirect addressing and others which make calculating FFTs faster. A standard 8-bit PIC may include an 8x8 hardware multiplier at best; that's simply not enough. A 16-bit PIC includes a 16x16 multiplier and divide assist, but the lack of accumulators makes it less useful. Also, it's important to note you will need a fast clock rate, running a dsPIC33F at 40 MIPS (the maximum speed) should be fast enough.