please delete my account. I no longer wish to subject myself to this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

1ns0mnia

Joined Jan 2, 2018
I made a terrible mistake coming back here. I'd like to have my account deleted and erase all memory of this place. I thought this place existed to share information. Instead its marred with ridicule and individuals attempting to make themselves feel superior with rhetorical responses aimed at belittling. I know that some moderator is going to read the posts I've made over the past several hours. To them, I can only say that one individual spoiled this for me. I came here for a simple answer to a simple question. I'm confident I know the solution however I don't want to make a mistake. Knowledge is power. I see no point in any user responding to a question by making it clear that they know the answer, but you're not worthy of it. If my simple question broke a forum rule, I apologize. My thread has been closed so I assume so. I find it particularly disappointing that there are those among us that do not and will not ever understand the value of research being accelerated by the repurposing of parts commercially available. So many here see themselves as babysitters feeding their egos at the expense of those of us attempting to learn new things. It saddens me. With that said, I will say goodbye to the hundreds of good people that I'm sure reside on this forum and good riddance to to those who are clearly here for the wrong reasons.

PS. Ben Franklyn didn't know he has succeeded in discovering electricity until he was in fact shocked by his experiment. Look it up Ron.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
They did lock that awfully quick. I don't see where you broke any rules. Stick around......they will probably un-lock it. They just thought you were trying to modify something beyond your skill......and could get hurt. Not trying to be superior......have a little patients. We've seen some almost kill themselves.

You just want a level function for that steam generator terminal.....right?

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Permanent bans have been suggested for past requests, but your content will still be on the site for others to view.

If you want "Ron" to see your post so he can respond, you need to tag him.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
@1ns0mnia: We do not delete accounts or delete content without compelling reasons. The site is archival in nature and deleting accounts and posts will only cause a loss of context for affiliated content.

If you do not wish to receive further notifications, you can select the appropriate options in your Profile. After that, then it is simply a matter of not coming back. However, if you would prefer, we can issue a permanent ban on your username, which will prevent you from ever logging in under that account again. Is that what you would like done?

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
I see no point in any user responding to a question by making it clear that they know the answer, but you're not worthy of it.
1ns0mnia I prolly shouldn't speak on behalf of other posters but this time I will cuz having read your thread I know I've been in their position too w/ other inquiries. So anyhow I totally think you misunderstood their intent:( So it's just that we have 2b vry careful abt safety issues on moral and tort grounds so plz know it's not us being like u say _baby sitters_ it's demands of tort system and also cuz we're nice ppl we don't want 2 give advice that might get somebody hurt! So if that seems condescending it's not that we're like _elite clique_ looking down on u it's just that we don't know u well enough 2 know your skill level yet! Also we're bound by site's UA so please don't take it personally:(! If you stick around I promise you'll see this is one of the friendliest open educational sites on the web:cool:

Last edited:

1ns0mnia

Joined Jan 2, 2018
Benjamin Franklin and Electricity
In 1752, Benjamin Franklin conducted the famous kite-and-key experiment to demonstrate that lightning was electricity and soon after invented the lightning rod. His investigations into electrical phenomena were compiled into “Experiments and Observations on Electricity,” published in England in 1751. He coined new electricity-related terms that are still part of the lexicon, such as battery, charge, conductor and electrify.

Obviously Ben Franklin didn't invent electricity, however his experiments were instrumental in development of electricity as we know it today. I hope we can all agree on this clarification that "even a 12 year old could understand."

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Obviously Ben Franklin didn't invent electricity, however his experiments were instrumental in development of electricity as we know it today. "
I see it as rather futile to select any one person in this field with such title, without reference to all the other contributors that could be considered equally important.
Faraday, Lenz, Maxwell et alia.
Max.

"Instead its marred with ridicule and individuals attempting to make themselves feel superior with rhetorical responses aimed at belittling. I know that some moderator is going to read the posts I've made over the past several hours. To them, I can only say that one individual spoiled this for me."

I read all your posts and I think that you have a point. I have no advice and I am not a judge...I do have an opinion though....

If you want help with an electronics problem on this and many other similar boards, you are better served by ignoring those responses that do not help you get the information that you want. Even if this means absorbing some "shade" and doing so without fighting back. I know from experience that is easier said than done.

On the other hand, maybe you are not willing to take it - you certainly don't have to, it is a choice. This is the second time around for you and you may simply not want to keep doing it - I would certainly not fault you for that. Again, I think you definitely have a point - but I also think that some of your responses definitely made the situation worse.

One point that comes through is that it is [still] not clear whether and how you were going to hook up those electrodes. If you were re-purposing the unit to simply hold a refillable water supply, that's one thing. It is quite another if you were going to continue to use the unit for (part of) its intended purpose, but without the proper control board and all the rest. The latter would logically generate some safety red flags for any contentious responder, depending, I suppose, on your experience and level of expertise - but that was not part of your original post or any others. True, the pile on posts are completely without merit, in my view.

None of that information came out in any detail in your first post and, in fact, it still hasn't come out even after the damage is done. While a particular responder might have been a bit abrupt, the fact is, the individual went through the trouble of digging up and linking specs to the unit (something you did not do).

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Benjamin Franklin and Electricity
In 1752, Benjamin Franklin conducted the famous kite-and-key experiment to demonstrate that lightning was electricity and soon after invented the lightning rod. His investigations into electrical phenomena were compiled into “Experiments and Observations on Electricity,” published in England in 1751. He coined new electricity-related terms that are still part of the lexicon, such as battery, charge, conductor and electrify.

Obviously Ben Franklin didn't invent electricity, however his experiments were instrumental in development of electricity as we know it today. I hope we can all agree on this clarification that "even a 12 year old could understand."
I'm wondering if thats where "Franklinstien" came to being. :D

Ol ben I hear studied the human body, or is that a myth? I don't know but put Electricity and a human body together and there you have it. :)

Ol Ben Franklinstien he he https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frankenstein

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1299336/

Medical uses of electricity were much discussed during Franklin's lifetime. It was known, from early in the eighteenth century, that an electrical shock could cause involuntarily twitching and contraction of muscles. Many people thus hoped that ‘electrical fire’ would provide a cure for paralysis. They believed that sending a charge through the affected limbs might increase blood flow, regenerate muscle and restore movement or physical control.

Franklin was doubtful about the usefulness of electrical treatment for palsy and paralysis and never promoted himself as an electrical therapist. Nonetheless, because of his reputation as an electrical innovator, he was from time to time contacted by people seeking electrical therapy. Using an electrostatic generator (in which electrical charge was created by rubbing material against a mounted glass ball or cylinder turned by a crank) and a Leyden jar (which stored the electrical energy), Franklin obliged those patients who came to him desiring electrical therapies. He described these treatments in a letter to Sir John Pringle, dated 21 December 1757.
kv:)

1ns0mnia

Joined Jan 2, 2018
"Instead its marred with ridicule and individuals attempting to make themselves feel superior with rhetorical responses aimed at belittling. I know that some moderator is going to read the posts I've made over the past several hours. To them, I can only say that one individual spoiled this for me."

I read all your posts and I think that you have a point. I have no advice and I am not a judge...I do have an opinion though....

If you want help with an electronics problem on this and many other similar boards, you are better served by ignoring those responses that do not help you get the information that you want. Even if this means absorbing some "shade" and doing so without fighting back. I know from experience that is easier said than done.

On the other hand, maybe you are not willing to take it - you certainly don't have to, it is a choice. This is the second time around for you and you may simply not want to keep doing it - I would certainly not fault you for that. Again, I think you definitely have a point - but I also think that some of your responses definitely made the situation worse.

One point that comes through is that it is [still] not clear whether and how you were going to hook up those electrodes. If you were re-purposing the unit to simply hold a refillable water supply, that's one thing. It is quite another if you were going to continue to use the unit for (part of) its intended purpose, but without the proper control board and all the rest. The latter would logically generate some safety red flags for any contentious responder, depending, I suppose, on your experience and level of expertise - but that was not part of your original post or any others. True, the pile on posts are completely without merit, in my view.

None of that information came out in any detail in your first post and, in fact, it still hasn't come out even after the damage is done. While a particular responder might have been a bit abrupt, the fact is, the individual went through the trouble of digging up and linking specs to the unit (something you did not do).
Your points are well taken and we are in total agreement on most. With that said, the purpose of the device is irrelevant. I came here with a fairly simple issue that didn't require me to divulge every aspect of my project in order to receive the guidance that I required. The information that was needed was provided. The responders themselves were creating risk of making this a banned subject by poking and prodding for additional information they did not need. If you think about it, every project at some point will originate or terminate with mains voltage. You poke and prod long enough and you'll get to that point thus making it a banned subject. The issue I came to discuss was a sensor issue and nothing more.

Although it doesn't change my opinion of him, as it wasn't until others started to respond to my post that the "great withholder" was the one who ultimately provided the confirmation that I required to proceed with my project. I suppose he couldn't hold his ego at bay any longer once others showed they were willing to assist me.

I do thank all of those who chimed in and ultimately helped me in this. (Although I'm still having trouble finding a MOSFET capable of converting 60v ac to anything other 5v dc.) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.