please can someone help me for build esr meter

Senz_90

Joined Jul 11, 2013
i have try to build this esr meter on my bread board but i have a problem,

the link is http://electronics-diy.com/electronic_schematic.php?id=950

for note i can't find a resistor 1% for 22 ohm for R10 and R12... i just try to 22 ohm that i can get (red, red, gold, gold) and i also try to use 4R7 both not 1% resistor..

i don't know exactly the problem but for the meter i using a small vu meter and the scale needle didn't move directly so far to 0 scale.. please someone that ever build esr meter like this help me... :confused::confused:

Attachments

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Be careful when you wire this up, on this schematic, the dark arrow is not battery negative. The black arrows are a virtual ground midway between battery + and battery -.

I have not built one myself but the virtual grounds can be a source of errors when converting a schematic to a breadboard circuit.

Senz_90

Joined Jul 11, 2013
you're right and i have a trial and error 2x times but the result is dissappointed... i haved checked all cable carefully and got no mistake.. did you think that my meter didn't suit for that circuit? maybe i think hahaha...

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I looked into building an ESR meter not long ago and did actually make one in this thread. I took the time to put some useful links in there, including a discussion of whether a DIY solution is even possible. The consensus is that NO, it's not.

Senz_90

Joined Jul 11, 2013
Be careful when you wire this up, on this schematic, the dark arrow is not battery negative. The black arrows are a virtual ground midway between battery + and battery -.

I have not built one myself but the virtual grounds can be a source of errors when converting a schematic to a breadboard circuit.

later i will upload my breadboar and my meter photo so you all can describe my mistake....

Senz_90

Joined Jul 11, 2013
I looked into building an ESR meter not long ago and did actually make one in this thread. I took the time to put some useful links in there, including a discussion of whether a DIY solution is even possible. The consensus is that NO, it's not.
did u built that esr meter using lm555 IC? i surely look that circuit too on googling but i have decided buy IC TL084 and got not result... would u please give me a complete tutorial built that likes your one's? surely with photo

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
My work is pretty detailed in that thread. As I noted there, I used a 555 to provide the 100kHz test signal. I didn't photograph my breadboard but the circuit is not complex. Didn't really work, either, although it might have some value in comparing capacitors if other factors (test lead length) are held constant.

Senz_90

Joined Jul 11, 2013
My work is pretty detailed in that thread. As I noted there, I used a 555 to provide the 100kHz test signal. I didn't photograph my breadboard but the circuit is not complex. Didn't really work, either, although it might have some value in comparing capacitors if other factors (test lead length) are held constant.
yeah but i means circuit for give that esr 100kHz... if u don't mind?

im novice so i really have a beginner skilled

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
I find the attached circuit works well for finding bad electrolytic caps. (It can also measure small resistor values).

To build it, I gutted a cheap Volt-Ohm-Meter and reused the meter, battery holder, fuse clip, test leads, case and the pot used to zero the meter.

The ESR is measured at 10 KHz instead of 100 KHz to allow the use of a miniature audio output transformer.

http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=58216&stc=1&d=1376000677

Attachments

Senz_90

Joined Jul 11, 2013
I find the attached circuit works well for finding bad electrolytic caps. (It can also measure small resistor values).

To build it, I gutted a cheap Volt-Ohm-Meter and reused the meter, battery holder, fuse clip, test leads, case and the pot used to zero the meter.

The ESR is measured at 10 KHz instead of 100 KHz to allow the use of a miniature audio output transformer.

http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=58216&stc=1&d=1376000677

i am already download it.. but the problem is i don't know how to wiring the transformers :( that is the reason i built the esr meter that no need a transformer...but if you don't mind i wanna learn to wiring a small ferrite transformer to help this homemade esr meter design easily...

i have this small transformer that i get from fluorescent lamp

Attachments

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
Sorry, my drawing does not show the part number of the transformer that I used -- It is a Mouser Electronics number 42TL003.

Winding your own transformer from parts with unknown characteristics can be hard. If you can use a transformer as is you are much better off. A CFL transformer like the one from your pictures might work without rewinding it.

Another possibility is a transformer from the inverter circuit of a disposable camera. Stores that still develop the film from these cameras will often give you a few of the used cameras if you ask.

I will try both a CFL transformer and camera transformer to see if they might work. It may a few days before I have results.

In the meantime, feel free to ask more questions.

Senz_90

Joined Jul 11, 2013
Sorry, my drawing does not show the part number of the transformer that I used -- It is a Mouser Electronics number 42TL003.

Winding your own transformer from parts with unknown characteristics can be hard. If you can use a transformer as is you are much better off. A CFL transformer like the one from your pictures might work without rewinding it.

Another possibility is a transformer from the inverter circuit of a disposable camera. Stores that still develop the film from these cameras will often give you a few of the used cameras if you ask.

I will try both a CFL transformer and camera transformer to see if they might work. It may a few days before I have results.

In the meantime, feel free to ask more questions.

yeah, ur advice is really help, i want to see your winding advice and project photo if you don"t mind anyway... it could be really a help for me.. this esr meter project has successful 3 days ago and it's just feel free to design the pcb that i wants use..

and any help with efficient pcb design? because i couldn't photocopy with magazine paper on my city... usually any reason that it will broke that photocopy machine... i thought that's just the easiest way to make pcb without a bunch of money... hahaha...transfer paper method.

i will try another esr meter design with transformer:D...anyway this TL 062 design interesting me..

i feel eager learning about transformer winding and inductor design,, but it's just feel difficult without someone expert to teach you..

it's very meanful if you could recycle winding any transformer from broken device like stavol with toroid transformer...

btw thanks sir :D

Attachments

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Did you read the discussion I linked to, about how futile it is to build one of these? I'm just trying to save you from spending a lot of time on something that leads to a dead end.

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
wayneh wrote:

Did you read the discussion I linked to, about how futile it is to build one of these? I'm just trying to save you from spending a lot of time on something that leads to a dead end.
Agreed, these simple ESR testers are not great but they are useful. I am interested in what limitations you have a problem with.

Thanks.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I only built one, referenced earlier in this thread. It seemed to be somewhat useful but was at least as much an inductance meter as an ESR meter. I believe you could use it to compare two capacitors side by side if care was taken to minimize any differences in the measurement other than swapping the capacitor.

Since I needed it to test capacitors in a TV to determine whether they needed replacement or not, it really didn't help with that. Perhaps with more experience and a database of test results, I might have been able to make a judgement. But it was far easier to just buy new capacitors.

Senz_90

Joined Jul 11, 2013
yeah,, thank you for all of you useful advice.. this is my success built after trial and errors.. i just feel satisfied after a few struggle. haha... i will try another design like mr wayneh built of course... it looks like very simple and useful.

:D:D

Attachments

Senz_90

Joined Jul 11, 2013
and anyway sorry for my bunch of question and eager of learning:D

anyone ever built inductance meter without ic programmed? i can't use an ic because i don't know how to programme...

maybe just simple analogue inductance/LC meter design but useful that you are ever built one if don't mind?