PLC with timer?

Bigcountry

Joined Jul 4, 2008
I worked with a PLC years ago but I can't remember there capabilities. I know they are more advanced now. But I was looking for one that has timer in it. For instance, I need to turn valve X on for 4 minutes and turn it off for 3 minutes.
Hopefully one of the Gurus on here can point me in right directions. I was looking on Siemens and seen the LOGO. It looks like it will work but I couldn't find anything about time on it. thanks in advance for any help.

Have a Great Day!

Bigcountry

Joined Jul 4, 2008
I will have to program it via computer correct? Do they make PLC that I can program the inputs on the PLC itself?

Bigcountry

Joined Jul 4, 2008
yeah they are from 200 to 400 dollars. what I am trying to do with project is regulate water temperature through control valves. I need a PLC to turn the valves on and when it gets the right temperature ( 98 degrees for arbitrary number) the temperature circuit will then send back a message to the PLC and open the valve to release the water. I am learning a lot by doing this project plus it is fun. I am still in the design stage has you can tell. I am just stuck on finding the right parts that will work perfectly. I am coming up little short handed now with find all the right parts. This might be a little over my head but I think a good learning experience with educational resources and hands on work will make me better in future applications. thank you for your help and anymore you can give me.

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
The link I posted for mcmaster, that company will most likely have anything and everything you will need to do what you have to from sensors, to switches, etc...

Whenever I have a new project, (I do a lot of automated machinery and equipment) McMaster is like my source for everything, kind of like ACME was for Wiley Cayote :)

B. Morse

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
I find Mcmaster to be overpriced.. Mcmaster like digikey,newark,etc... charge for being the one stop easy online shop who tailers to protos/one offs,etc..

I'd start with the click PLC... there is no need to pay the money for one that can be programmed via the unit when everyone has access to a computer. Heck $69 for the click and $250 for a new netbook is still cheaper than a $400 PLC. You will program it once and never touch it again.

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
Whenever I have a new project, (I do a lot of automated machinery and equipment) McMaster is like my source for everything, kind of like ACME was for Wiley Cayote
Probably not a good analogy, as I don't recall Wiley E to ever having been successful in his attempts. I've worked in plants like that.

Sounds like a simple programable thermostat would work.

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
Probably not a good analogy, as I don't recall Wiley E to ever having been successful in his attempts. I've worked in plants like that.
<snip>
lol, I meant that they always had what I was looking for, not that my projects were like wiley's projects! :eek:

I have been with the same company since 1994, and we have only had 1 minor injury (one worker got the tip of his finger pinched off in a sheet metal brake...)

B. Morse