plc vs scada vs dcs

Hassaan.Raazi

Joined Oct 31, 2012
we are working on a project and we need to use plc or scada or dcs, please someone suggest us what should we use and why any helpful link or reference?

thanks in advance :)

BSomer

Joined Dec 28, 2011
I would think that the decision greatly depends upon what exactly the project is, your experience with them, and what you have available. Personally I would use a PLC because I have experience with them and have a couple different ones sitting around available for use. This of course depends upon what I need to have done, can I use something simpler like a micro-controller or descrete IC's.

Hassaan.Raazi

Joined Oct 31, 2012
Suggest me, actually we are making an automated system for growing plants in off-season, so here i want to know and decide that whether to use micro controller, PLC or Distributive control system.
Thanks =)

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Ok so your using process flow control for ...

water feeding, humidity sensing, heating & temperature sensing, possibly lighting control,
and anything else you need

so you need sensors for these and relays to switch them on/off

A set of op amps, or PIC micro will do this,

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
we are working on a project and we need to use plc or scada or dcs, please someone suggest us what should we use and why any helpful link or reference?

thanks in advance :)
You must have at least looked into each of these you mention to understand what the terms mean.

a simple irrigation system could possibly be an embedded system or a PLC. Your irrigation system may be separate from your air handling system, and those two systems may be overseen by another controller as in DCS, and, you may want to log data or drive a profile in SCADA fashion. Obviously with such a general question, you need to do a lot of leg work to tighten up your specifications.

panic mode

Joined Oct 10, 2011
you have to start by defining the problem and all of the constraints.
look into something that does the job.

it is like asking "i need some transportation, what do you suggest?"
it could be anything from shoes to space shuttle.