Pinewood Derby Stopwatch/Timer Project

bertz

Joined Nov 11, 2013
Don't give up just because some people are cautious. Iron out bugs and maybe they will let you use it next season before the finals. They probably saw a few bugs and decided not to trust the system yet.

Also keep us updated as I'm sure others will want to try this circuit out!
Thanks for the kind words yinzer. Actually, I am developing the next phase which is 'order of finish'. I will be posting circuit and code soon. What the overlords want (and I don't blame them) is to see a working prototype before they commit to a system for the main event. That's why I built a system to use with my grandson's "hot wheels" layout. I'll be posting a video soon. Stay tuned.

As far as uploading to a PC, that is way above this mill hunkie's pay grade. Anyway, Spring has sprung and its time to open up the cabin on Pymatuning. :D

Al

bertz

Joined Nov 11, 2013
Your a steelworker from PA? So am I!
You betchum Red Ryder! 56 years in the business, my core competency was steelmaking (melting & casting). However electronics was always near & dear - got my ham ticket (W3KQJ) before I got my drivers license.

Al

bertz

Joined Nov 11, 2013
I modified the circuit for two lanes and made a PCB for the display and the control module. If this was made with SMD devices the whole thing could probably fit on a board the same size as the display module - lots of wasted space. Anyway, it does work as shown in the attached video. The display readout is in milliseconds.

Phase two will be to mount a separate display with large numbers to indicate the order of finish. It will utilize a separate 14M2 as a co-processor.

Once again, thanks to all who helped me with this project!

http://youtu.be/ETBvTs5ptX8