Pinball Machine Repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
So there is no manual available with this?

Do you have an oscilloscope and are there any crystal oscillators? They look like metal cans. I want to see if they are oscillating. Right now I am just stabbing in the dark, my suspicions point to some kind of predicted failure (like a bulb blowing, a switch sticking, memory battery dying etc.)

nickorossa

Joined Jun 28, 2010
Hi Tom,

No I don't have a manual.

I can't see anything that looks like an oscillator.

With the machine switched on and in "game" mode, I checked most of the switches and contacts and they were clear. I've checked all the bulbs and they are working.

Any ideas what the A102J and A472J components are. They are the single inline 9pin packages?

Nick.

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
What's the Reference Designator?

If it's "RAx" (where "x" is any length number), then it's probably a resistor array. That's the most common use of SIL arrays I've seen.

nickorossa

Joined Jun 28, 2010
Hi

I've had another look and I think I've seen an oscillator. Its on the main COB. It has a blob of glue on it which is why I didn't notice it before.

Head Unit COB Closeup.jpg

Nick.

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
Yep, that's a crystal. If it has a reference designator (label) of "Xn" or "Yn" it is a crystal. If you have a scope, try probing it...

syphen

Joined Sep 14, 2010
"P161" is normal. I have this same table and that is Player 1, Ball 1. :)

My table works & scores proper but doesn't play any noises any more. Music plays but none of the extra noise works. Bit of a bummer.

marshallf3

Joined Jul 26, 2010
Even if the manufacturer has disappeared there are tons of companies that specialize in repairing these things.
Could be as simple as ordering a $30 replacement board.

nickorossa

Joined Jun 28, 2010
Hi

In the UK, $30 wouldn't even get me very far.

The table is pretty basic and not worth repairing. It would probably be cheaper to buy a new one; such is the world we live in.

P161.... Knowing what it meant I don't think would have made much difference as I checked the simple stuff.... Doesn't make me feel any less stupid though! :confused:

In the end I gave up on it and moved on to something else.

Nick.

Status
Not open for further replies.