pin types

kirayamato_143

Joined Jan 23, 2011
hello everyone i'm starting to make a new device in proteus,, can somebody tell me the differences between pin types? i cant classify no connection pin.. wether passive,input,output,bidirectional. etc. tnx

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Sounds like schematic capture. Pin types is an additional layer of protection when doing layouts. There is a set of rules in the program concerning which pin types can connect with other pin types.

Example: Connecting an output to an input is fine, but you probably want to be told if you tie two outputs together.

I do my work in Orcad capture, and for the most part I just define pins as passive or power, as I don't rely on this feature for checking.

kirayamato_143

Joined Jan 23, 2011
so what does it means to define a pin in passive? if i put a pin type in pull-up or pull-down then i cannot use it as power pins? i feel confuse thanks for your response

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
if i put a pin type in pull-up or pull-down then i cannot use it as power pins?
It may generate a warning depending on the connection type matrix.

POWER pin want to see a net with a POWER property. PULL-UP or -DOWN wants to see a net associated with a resistor (I assume). Thus connect the two together and a warning gets fired.

It is designed to keep you from say putting power to an input, but if you want an input to always see a logic "1" you may well want to connect it to power.

I've never had much use for this feature as I always track down and correct all my warnings or design rule errors. You may be able to override them but I prefer to get rid of them.