piggyback a current source on a tesla coil

DaisyDukem

Joined Aug 8, 2012
Hi,

I am trying to figure out if this will work. I have a 20kV tesla coil and 10A current source. The tesla coil is not the hand held version, but a benchtop with 2 terminals coming out like a voltage source.

How can I make it so that they both feed a load with full voltage of the tesla coil and full amps of the current source?

I have a circuit in mind like the one below. I have 20 diodes for protection rated at 20kV and 2A each. They are in a combination network of series and parallel so the resulting protection is 40kV/20A.

I assume if I turn this on then 10A will flow through the circuit and blow the tesla coil since it is rated for minimal current, so I would need diode protection on the back side as well?

Alternatively does the current source need high voltage protection?

Any help would be appreciated.

How can I make it so that they both feed a load with full voltage of the tesla coil and full amps of the current source?
You'll need a current source capable of putting out the same as or higher voltage than your tesla coil so you're looking at a minimum of 20kv at 10A, or 200kw.

DaisyDukem

Joined Aug 8, 2012
You'll need a current source capable of putting out the same as or higher voltage than your tesla coil so you're looking at a minimum of 20kv at 10A, or 200kw.
Hmm not what I wanted to hear :(. So there is no way to add them together without the other component being rated for the other?

What will happen if I turn it on as it sits right now? Will the current source fry?

DaisyDukem

Joined Aug 8, 2012
Thanks for the link. Some interesting info in there so I will have to read the whole thing.

Are MOT’s AC or DC output? I’m guessing they’re AC so if I’m looking for DC where should I be looking? Looking for something 1-40kV, 5-100A (the higher the better). Welding transformers?