Picture made out of LED strips

GargaMel

Joined Sep 28, 2013
Heys guys, i'm pretty new to all this electronics, I have a glass shelf with a led strip behind it, that's the only electronic project I ever made, but i got an idea for a project and I would like to consult you guys to help me with choosing the products I need to make it work, and if it is even possible.

I saw on Youtube bunch of people that take a number of led strips, connect it to somekind of a controller that had a SD card inside it, and it projects moving images such as words, horses, or any kind of animation.

I wanted to know if there is an option of making the same thing, but instead of an animation to make to show a stationary picture, for an example, A Bob Marley picture.

http://foreverb.rxmedicalweb.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/gallery/misturadas/bob-marley.jpg

It will be just like a picture you hang on the wall, just made of out LED strips.
Is this king of project possible? And if yes, what products will I need to do it?
LED Strips, power source, etc.
And what kinds?

I know it's pretty a lot to ask, but I would really appreciate the Help.

Thanks ahead, Daniel.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
The picture you posted looks like a black and white print with a banded color background. It could be duplicated by placing the print on a translucent medium (frosted or milk glass) and the putting different colored LEDs behind the glass. Is that what you want, or do you want to use LEDs as the pixels in the picture?

GargaMel

Joined Sep 28, 2013
Actually I thought making the LED as the pixels of the picture, but I really liked your Idea... then it would be easy, all I need is to print the picture and put stationary color behind it....

But I really liked the idea of making the LED as the pixels...
And what do you mean by spending the weekend for designing? how do you design this thing? What is the file on the SD card that is making the picture?