pickit2

ddickey

Joined Sep 28, 2011
Yes it has power. it's a 16f628 chip. I have a hex file i'm trying to program the chip with. If i change the device family to baseline and click 16f526 I cna do a partial download then i ge an error which i was suspecting anyway.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Are you using MPLAb?

I am showing the 16f628 as red (not supported) by MPLAb and PicKit II, all other Microchip programmers support it.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Yes. mplab. SO does that mean i need a pickit3 then?

Yes according to what I am seeing.

Or get a Pic that is supported by the PicKit II.

Strange page 121 of the datasheet does not list the PicKit 3 either only

Device Programmers
- PRO MATE® II Universal Device Programmer
- PICSTART® Plus Development Programmer

PaulEE

Joined Dec 23, 2011
Yes according to what I am seeing.

Or get a Pic that is supported by the PicKit II.

Strange page 121 of the datasheet does not list the PicKit 3 either only

Device Programmers
- PRO MATE® II Universal Device Programmer
- PICSTART® Plus Development Programmer
I have a 16F627 hooked up to the PICKIT2 on the mid-range - standard auto-detect setting; just read the memory. See picture below for pinout (datasheet wasn't much help for me). 16F627/8 share a datasheet, FYI.

MCLR -> pin 4
V+ -> pin 14
V-/gnd-> pin 5
PGD -> pin 13
PGC -> pin 12

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I think the OP was trying to program with MPLab. Good to see that it works with stand alone programmer as you say. Strange it is not listed on the chips datahseet.

PaulEE

Joined Dec 23, 2011
I think the OP was trying to program with MPLab. Good to see that it works with stand alone programmer as you say. Strange it is not listed on the chips datahseet.
The datasheet misled me. Usually, you see pins labeled "PGMD" and PGMC" or something along those lines. All I saw was "PGM" on pin 10. I actually goog'd it and found an image of someone else's breadboard to learn how to hook it up. After that, the standalone app was happy.

As for MPLAB, it should work just the same. Maybe now that the OP has a wiring diagram (sort of) he/she can get it to work..?

Let us know!

ddickey

Joined Sep 28, 2011
Ok so I can't use the board that comes with teh programmer. I plug it onto my breadboard and hook it up that way, eh?

PaulEE

Joined Dec 23, 2011
Ok so I can't use the board that comes with teh programmer. I plug it onto my breadboard and hook it up that way, eh?
OH! That explains it.

No way, the 16F690 has a complete different pinout. If you breadboard it as I did, you should be fine.

ddickey

Joined Sep 28, 2011
Ok I've got it wired onto my bread board. I must be trying to download an improper file as it load 130 lines then gives me the fail message again. I'm tryingto make this http://embedded-lab.com/blog/?p=1671 he posts the file a ways down in the article. I open the link and download teh hex file. I think I'm doing something wrong or maybe there is only 130 lines of data?

ddickey

Joined Sep 28, 2011
It is an 628a i guess. SO it will work ok even if the holde has 20 pins? Still not sure about programming it though.

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
That hex file is fine, I've just burned it to a PIC16F628A with my PICKIT2 with no errors. My setup is a little different to yours, I used a ZIF socket and pk2cmd software but it should make no difference.