PicKit2 circuit

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009

JK-FlipFlop

Joined Jul 5, 2010
That is NOT a programmer. It is just a ZIF-socket what will fit into the PICKIT 2 or 3. So you will need a PICKIT programmer also. As I have tried to tell you. you do not any socket for programming. Program your PIC then placed IN the circuit. What about this do you not understand?
it comes with the PICKIT2 programmer....+ socket for PICing.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
it comes with the PICKIT2 programmer....+ socket for PICing.
Yes that is correct. And the deal is not that bad. Just hope you will be able to upgrade the firmware in the PICKIT programmer, else it will not work in newer versions of MPLAB. However as I have said before. The PICKIT 2 is made for programming PICs in circuit.

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
I do agree, and most of the time programming PICs in circuit is easier, but I do find a zif socket handy for smaller PICs where I can't always comply with the ICSP requirements.
If I'm doing that I put the PIC in a turned pin socket which I find very sturdy. The pins keep falling off cheap flat pin sockets.

Potato Pudding

Joined Jun 11, 2010
I love the helpful advice that is shared here and the gentle way that the stubbornly inattentive are prodded towards understanding.

To be honest it is a bit underwhelming how simplified programming has become. I expect there are more than a few odd people that have completely missed the new process because it is too simple.

Microchip offers to preprogram chips with your code, so I assume that not everyone is programming their own chips, but most likely that is for people that want thousands of chips and can't be bothered to do that much programming.