PIC18; Copying into array

nuggets89

Joined May 5, 2009
Hey all,

Writing a PIC18 program, and I'm wondering if any one could explain how you would write a PIC18 series assembly program, originally of 10 instructions in size, which would copy itself to an Array A. Also considering instructions are 2 bytes in size.

Not asking to write the code, just an explanation would be very helpful!
Thanks.

t_n_k

Joined Mar 6, 2009
Hey all,

Writing a PIC18 program, and I'm wondering if any one could explain how you would write a PIC18 series assembly program, originally of 10 instructions in size, which would copy itself to an Array A. Also considering instructions are 2 bytes in size.

Not asking to write the code, just an explanation would be very helpful!
Thanks.
What do you mean by "...copy itself to an Array A"?

Do you mean the program is to actually copy itself into an array???

Or do you mean copy some data into an array?

DonQ

Joined May 6, 2009
Sounds like a homework problem...

Are you aware of the difference between a von Neumann architecture and a Harvard architecture? It's important.

If not, do a network search. This might answer your question.

nuggets89

Joined May 5, 2009
Sounds like a homework problem...

Are you aware of the difference between a von Neumann architecture and a Harvard architecture? It's important.

If not, do a network search. This might answer your question.
Yeah, I'm aware of the difference and I did more research but could not find anything on Von Neumann Architecture that actually relates to this problem, or how you would program it to do so.

DonQ

Joined May 6, 2009
"I did more research but could not find anything on Von Neumann Architecture that actually relates to this problem"

Oh! I wasn't aware that a PIC was a von Neumann architecture. I had always thought it was a Harvard architecture. Maybe someday when I've researched it as thoroughly as you have, I'll know better. I guess that since I don't know what I'm talking about, I'll go away now.

Good luck.

nuggets89

Joined May 5, 2009
"I did more research but could not find anything on Von Neumann Architecture that actually relates to this problem"

Oh! I wasn't aware that a PIC was a von Neumann architecture. I had always thought it was a Harvard architecture. Maybe someday when I've researched it as thoroughly as you have, I'll know better. I guess that since I don't know what I'm talking about, I'll go away now.

Good luck.
I meant to include "or Harvard" in that post, just missed it. My mistake. I never said you didn't know what you were talking about . I took your advice and acted on it, but it didn't really get me where I needed to be. Maybe I'm missing something? That's why I'm looking for help.

I just need more help/advice. I really appreciate the help you were giving me to begin with. Sorry if it did not come across that way.