PIC12F675 and an External Clock

tttmmmsss

Joined Apr 20, 2010
I've been looking through the chip Datasheet and I've been doing a lot of searching online, but I have not been able to find the correct schematic or diagram about having an external clock ( either RC, crystal, or oscillator ) connected to the PIC chip in question.

Maybe I'm just being dumb, but is it included on the Datasheet I'm not seeing, or is there somewhere online I may reference?

[Edit: ] I should add that I am looking specifically for how to connect an RC oscillating circuit to the PIC chip. My project design is several units of PIC chips driving an RGB LED and in order to introduct randomness into the system, I'm planning on just replacing the internal clock with a resistor and capasitor ouside the chip, but also pairing the resistor with a termistor. Yay random!

Thank you for any reply in this matter.

~Tim S.

Last edited:

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
I once contacted Microchip with the same question because I could not find any information of it in the data sheets. This is what I got from Microchip
Due to drift in temperature, process variation, and other factors, specifications of what frequency is produced by what combination of R and C are often not available. This mode requires some trial and error to find the values for the desired frequency. However, the device datasheet will provide you with a range of values that are valid
for use with the external RC or external R mode. Since there is little issue with loading and drive level, the frequency can be easily tested with an oscilloscope or frequency counter. Note for the mid-range series frequncys higher than 4 MHz is beyond recommended range.
To see the clock rate when using External RC mode, test the OSC2 pin. It will output one-quarter the clock rate the R-C oscillator is producing.