PIC - turn on-off

matej

Joined Aug 20, 2012
Hello, I just want to say that I'm Croatian, so sory if i make some grammar mistakes. :)

I'm working on some PIC project where I need to do the following:
When a button is pressed PIC turns on.
After some time, one of PICs pins go high and that triggers the PIC to turn off.

I successfully manage to get first part working, but the second part, where PIC needs to turn off, is a problem to me. Here are some pictures from Proteus so you can see how I wired it up. LED respresent PIC.
On 1. photo nothing happend, on 2. pohoto button was pressed and led still lights.

Thank you for any help :)

the 2. photo is under this, and 1. photo is at the end of the post. I couldn't upload it any otherwise.

EDIT: I messed up the title on accident, please admin rename it to: "PIC - turn on-off" or something you think is appropriate.

Last edited by a moderator:

JDT

Joined Feb 12, 2009
Don' switch the supply. The PIC has a instruction: SLEEP where it goes into a low power state and draws almost no current. The PIC can be woken up from sleep with a level change on a pin. This could be your push button.

Then the PIC does something and after a software time delay it could go back to sleep again.

matej

Joined Aug 20, 2012
But I also got some other elements attached to the supply, like LCD backlight, and I want LCD to also shut down when PIC shut down.

absf

Joined Dec 29, 2010
I can think of only one way to switch off the thyrister, i.e. by putting a NC relay contact in series with the lower side of the thyrister.

You can switch the relay through a NPN transistor to a PIC port pin. I am not able to simulate the circuit in proteus as I cannot find an animated 5V relay.

Another better way of doing it is the circuit suggested by ErnieM at post #9 in the discussion here...

http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=73341

Allen

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
This is a power switch that I created for a PICAXE µ-controller. It gives you two options that are implemented in software. One is Push-ON/Push-OFF. The other is Push-ON/Program-OFF. It requires one input and one output. You only need one output if you only want Push-ON/Program-OFF

There where several threads on the PICAXE Forum of ways to do this sort of thing.

Ken

Attachments