PIC Security System Project

NSCC_EETN

Joined Oct 6, 2010
Our class is working on a semester long Microprocessor Project. I am looking at a type of security system using the PIC16F887.

The criteria that we need is using as many of the PIC instructions and addressing modes as possible.

Some sites that we have found on the internet have various PIC related projects, but some of them are too small for the criteria we need.

Does anyone have a good idea where I can find something that would work for us? We don't want it big, yet simple enough that we can use all the instructions and addressing modes at our disposal.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
A aplhanumerical LCD display may be a good idea to practice lookup tables in ROM. And I guess your system will need such device

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
I am looking at a type of security system using the PIC16F887.
Can you say anything about what type of security system you have in mind? Do you wish to set up a burglar alarm in a building, or prevent an unauthorized user from opening a toolbox? Perhaps a biometric identification?

You need to define the "security system".

As this is a school exercise, think of look-up tables in order to use addressing modes.

NSCC_EETN

Joined Oct 6, 2010
Can you say anything about what type of security system you have in mind? Do you wish to set up a burglar alarm in a building, or prevent an unauthorized user from opening a toolbox? Perhaps a biometric identification?

You need to define the "security system".
We were thinking along the lines of a lab security system, like to the doors and windows as per a normal building security system.

Probably with an interrupt or delay system which would give anyone entering the room about 15-20 seconds delay time to shut the system off before the alarm goes off.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
You might start off with the hardware. What kinds of sensors to use and how to input them to the PIC. What constitutes a "normal" building security system? How would you propose to make one from scratch? If "normal" is simply a door keypad and interior sensor, it's pretty easy.

But, how secure is the area to be? does the door latch fail open or shut in the event of power failure? Do you need a dialler to alert police? Do you wish to incorporate a fire sensing ability? If the lab contains dangerous chemicals, do you need to include gas sniffers?