Pic Programming

bluebrakes

Joined Oct 17, 2009
Somebody has offered me a microchip PICstart Plus programmer with manuals/software and I was wondering if this would be any good for a newbee to PIC and would I be able to use it using a USB to serial converter? (I don't have a serial port on my laptop)

thanks,
dominic​

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Yes, it is fairly easy to pick up.

I've not had trouble with a Belkin USB - RS232 converter and programmer, though I mostly use the PicKit2, they do the same job.

There are TONS of example programs around to get you started in about any language you want!

bluebrakes

Joined Oct 17, 2009
ok thanks.

I thought I would double check as some serial devices can be somewhat picky sometimes. (no pun intended).

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
One caution, apparently there are differences between USB to serial adapters. Bill at blueroomelectronics.com posted in FAQ's on his site that Prolific PL2303 adapters work with his programmer. That is what I got, and it works with the PicStart Plus as well. Unfortunately, there is no brand name on mine. It was about the same price as the others. The blister pack mentioned the Prolific PL2303. FYI, the serial port on my ASUS MoBo did not work.

John

bluebrakes

Joined Oct 17, 2009
I picked up my picstart plus today. Brilliant piece of kit, works with the usb adapter too. phew.

Although I'm having trouble understanding the MPLAB software. It just seems to be all over the place to me.

Would someone be able to enlighten me on this code, i think its the combination of hex code, c code, etc that's throwing me...

LIST P=16F84 The pic being used. I know that bit. LOL
MOVLW 0
TRIS 6
OPTION
LOOP SLEEP
INCF 6,F
GOTO LOOP
END

Anyway, by some miracle I managed to make a flashing LED using the code from here after about an hour of messing about...
http://www.ubasics.com/archive/first.txt

So I've got a lot to learn yet. hehe.

Why would anyone buy the ancient, slow and expensive PS+ in todays market? The ONLY chip that would need it is the equally ancient 16F84.

A PICkit2 would have been a far better choice IMO and dump the 16F84 for a 16F628A or 16F88

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
The MPLAB ICD 3 cost less than picstart plus, and is far more versatile. Since it is a programmer/debugger unit

Last edited:

bluebrakes

Joined Oct 17, 2009
I agree there are much more versatile and cheaper pics, in fairness when I bought the picstart off a friend he gave me a few pics to get me started.

Are there any good books or tutorials out there regarding pic programming and mplab?

I have been looking, but nothing really seems to explain step by step.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
I agree there are much more versatile and cheaper pics, in fairness when I bought the picstart off a friend he gave me a few pics to get me started.
Are there any good books or tutorials out there regarding pic programming and mplab?
I have been looking, but nothing really seems to explain step by step.
You do know that we have a dedicated forum here http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17 If you post here you will get a broader audience. From your postings so far I can see that you are a true "n00b" not a coaster so feel free to post any question. I hate coasters by the way

bluebrakes

Joined Oct 17, 2009
Ok thanks. Will do.

I spent the last couple of days looking at example code and I think I'm starting to understand how it all works. Still a few things are bothering me, so I'll post them up in the correct section.

As for a coaster, I couldn't agree more. I like to think that it's a place where people are helpful to one another and not just a place for people to sign up, ask a question and never to be heard from again.