PIC ICSP Port

lloydi12345

Joined Aug 15, 2010
Hi, I would like to add ICSP port on my PCB design since taking the PIC from the board and returning it is time consuming and sometimes causes me pin problems. Do I still need to add isolation circuits like the image attached below?

I am using Olimex PIC Programmer

Attachments

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Buy a PIC Kit 2 or PICK Kit 3. The in circuit debugger programmer is well worth the price.
This times a few hundred. There are LOTS of people new to uC's that stop by and get very discouraged by trying to save a few bucks with a DIY programmer on both PIC and AVR platforms.

We don't get a commission, we just speak from our own and others' frustration.

The logic probe, program memory, debugger, and other features that come with it make it worth a LOT more than just a programmer, which it does excellently.

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
Maybe your programmer already has the ICSP-capabilities? Just add wires between the programmer and your PCB.

My programmer has that capability, and its very easy, not having to move the PIC between programmer and PCB.

lloydi12345

Joined Aug 15, 2010
Maybe your programmer already has the ICSP-capabilities? Just add wires between the programmer and your PCB.

My programmer has that capability, and its very easy, not having to move the PIC between programmer and PCB.
Can I know your programmer? Is it the massive factory made or DIY?
Did you place something like isolation circuits? or just directly made the 6pins port?

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Hi, I would like to add ICSP port on my PCB design since taking the PIC from the board and returning it is time consuming and sometimes causes me pin problems. Do I still need to add isolation circuits like the image attached below?
Your programmer design is a dodgy one. However in your case it kind of works.At least out of circuit. But the driving capabilities of this circuit is very poor, to put it mildly. It could be that your programmer will not be able to do real ICSP. Read the text around figure 1-1 of this document. It may help you.
http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/51764b.pdf
Ps I hope you now understand the the importance of using serial resistors on LDS;)

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
Can I know your programmer? Is it the massive factory made or DIY?
I have the PICCOLO programmer for the 18-pins PIC's.

In the programming software there is a check box, telling it to program in ICSP-mode.

On the programmer hardware, there are 5 pins for ICSP, that I directly connect to my PCB.

However, I loose some ports due to that I want the ISCP. But I'm not to concerned 'cause my projects are still small. :rolleyes:

lloydi12345

Joined Aug 15, 2010
Thank you for your replies. I think I wont place an ICSP port since the PIC Programmer I'm using is not so reliable. I'm hoping to buy one soon.

Don't use a LVP programmer and RB3 will be available. RB6,7 will also allow for in circuit debugging with an ICD2/3 or PICkit 2/3
Try to keep them free else there's a note on Microchips site about what you can connect to them and still be able to ICP.