Physics behind coils

Voltboy

Joined Jan 10, 2007
Hello, I've been trying to figure out something, looked up for answer but didnt find anything.

Suppose you have an electromagnet or any other type of coil, with non insulated wire. All the phenomenons that happens when current flows through the wire are explained by not so complex physics. But as I understand, all this physics laws and explanations assume that the current flows through the wire (parallel to it). My question is, why does the electricity can be assumed to flow that way and not any other way of shorter path (and lower resistance), taking in that the wires are non insulated and current can flow in any direction.

Thanks, I hope I explained my question well.

sceadwian

Joined Jun 1, 2009
Because such a coil would have very low inductance, to reinforce each other the coils have to be isolated, this can be as simple as an air gap. You will never find an inductor/coil made from non insulated wire that contacts itself directly, there is no point, as electrically it's not a coil, it can be considered a tube at that point and current can't flow helicaly around it so it has extremely low inductance.

Voltboy

Joined Jan 10, 2007
Actually thats my questions. Lets take as example a small electric motor, the coil of wires are non insulated, or at least they appear to be. How does the physics work and why do electricity flows through the wire and not through the coil as if it were a solid tube?