physics- a nightmare

SFRJ

Joined Sep 10, 2005
Hello to all,

This is my first time here and I ask you for forgiveness if it is a wrong place.

I am an older man and I have a child that started studying Electrical Engineering at university. My child was a good child and a good student in high school, a very good student in mathematics. Problem was, is, and will be (probably) physics. My child never did like physics but took it because it was a prereq for engineering for university.

I do fear now that my child will fail because there are so called 3 physics required for the 1st year; 2 physics courses in 1st semester and 1 physics course in a 2nd semester, plus Calculus, linear algebra, chemistry, comp progrm, etc. A very heavy load but we understand that it has to be like that in engineering.

Since I am an old father I do worry even more. What would you suggest to my child how to "make it" 65% in physics beside the expression; hire a Tutor because I can not afford one.

I do apologize for the english language mistakes, I tried my best but it is not easy to be well over 5O and learn.

Thank you to everyone.

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
As you already know, once a child goes out into the world it is largely up to them to acquire the knowledge that they need to survive. You have given your child the basic tools and the opportunity to be successful and now it is time for your child to make use of those tools. Your job is done. All you can do at this point is offer your encouragement and support.

The majority of students at university will struggle to make the grade. Those who find the going too tough will end up looking elsewhere for a career that better fits their talents and interests.

University can be a bit intimidating and many students take a while to adjust. Your child's performance in High School shows that the capability is there. It is possible that it will take a semester to aclimate to the academic stresses.

If your child is really interested in obtaining an engineering degree he/she will adjust to the demands of the academic world and do well.

As for tutoring, it is possible that your child can befriend a fellow student and form a study partnership. Some universities even offer free tutoring provided by engineering students who are in their last year at the university.

The harsh reality is that in the end this will be a test of your child's ability to focus on a goal and step up to the challenge to reach that goal.

Good Luck,
hgmjr

Brandon

Joined Dec 14, 2004
Another option if Physics is an issue is to have your child take Physics at a local community college that can transfer credit to the university. By doing so there is a greater chance of having smaller classes and therefore more personal contact with the professor.

I know when I got my EE degree I did this for a few class and I think I had 8 students in my Physics I and II class and maybe 13-15 in Calcs 1-3.

The trick to it is claiming a hardship. (Got to love the college advisor who hates the system and tells you how to circumvent it...)
Your child would need to state that all the times offered by the university for the class conflict with something. Work, medical, community service, what ever, but it needs to be something that your child shouldn't have easy control over otherwise the university will deny the request.

Not sure is this would work for you, but its an option which can be explored.

Good luck

SFRJ

Joined Sep 10, 2005
Brandon, Thank you very much. Great idea, the only problem is here is no community college that offers physics, plus even if there would be one it is not sufficient for the university level. We would like to take it and get rid of it so we can concentrate on my childs major which would be EE. Thanks again.