Photography Slave Strobe Flash Trigger

jackdavies

Joined Aug 2, 2010
Hi
I am still trying to make a strobe for my photography work. I want to build this circuit.

http://www.aaroncake.net/circuits/slave.asp

The Phototransistor that is used is not available anymore so wanted to substitute it for the L-7113P3C Infrared Phototransistor. I have been told that it is sensitive in the visible range but I might need to change the resistor values at the collector end - which set the sensitivity.

Thanks Jack :)

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010

jackdavies

Joined Aug 2, 2010
Thanks for the reply I have managed to find the data sheet which I have attached for the discontinued part. Just need to know what to change for the L-7113P3C to work.
Thanks

Attachments

jackdavies

Joined Aug 2, 2010
I am in the UK so would prefer to get the part locally. Thanks for looking though! :)
Is it the Photo-transistor thats drawn wrong, what should not be connected?
Thanks Jack

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
The base wire coming out of the left-hand side should be erased. You can see it doesn't actually connect to the node on the ground line.

One thing, you should be sure that whatever phototransistor you choose can see the wavelength of your flash, eg. visible light. Many are for IR, and might work anyway, but I think you'll want one for visible light.

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
This is a very simple circuit that I built (don't remember the source of the design) and used for several years. The components were mounted on small piece of perf-board. The battery was shrunk by removing the cells from the case of a PP3 style 9V mercury battery. The whole thing was stuffed in a clear Fuji film can. Made my own female coaxial flash connector on the snap top for the film can. No need for a switch since the leakage current was less that 0.5uA.

Ken

Attachments