Photography flash strobe project

jackdavies

Joined Aug 2, 2010
Hi all
I recently posted a question regarding high power mains camera flash circuit and didn't realise the forum did not support it! :)

I have been looking at other circuits as I need a strobe for skate photography and wanted to build my own. I need a xenon tube strobe circuit that would be powered from a battery as I need it to be portable.

I found this circuit powered from a 9v battery and hoped for a little assistance on constructing it. :D

http://www.discovercircuits.com/PDF-FILES/xenfls1.pdf

Thanks Jack

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
I assume you are talking ice or roller skating photography. This is a very weak strobe. The 9V battery won't be able to supply much power. The Flash capacitor is only 22uF. Even small camera strobes use capacitors in the 150uF to 330uF range.

Ken

Last edited:

jackdavies

Joined Aug 2, 2010
Thanks for the reply :)
I am actuly talking about BMX and skateboard photography but I do other things, I should have explained a little clearer. :D Do you know of any other way I could do it that would produce a reasonably powerful strobe but with a battery for portability?
Thanks

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
I shoot sports for the local paper once in a while for freelance.

I use White Lightning strobes, 3 660 Watt-Second strobes + Radio remote, I hang them in the roof of a gym and they still light up basketball players and wrestlers nicely. For sprint car racing, I put a couple on the pole near the corner I'll be hanging out in.

However, they aren't cheap, but extremely effective. Remote triggering and power level. Multi-burst capable, they can keep up with 12 frames/second!

No battery possible, use a portable genset at the track, mains power when I can.

--ETA: I use canon equipment, the 550EX flash I use can run on AA batteries, or an external pack. I use the external pack, which feeds a higher voltage straight to the power port on the flash, allowing about 10x the burst time/frequency. There's not really a simple way to get the power you need for sports.

Last edited: