photodiode boost

jack mcleod

Joined Sep 4, 2007
The photodiode (glued over a red indicator LED) outputs 1 micro A & 4.8 mV
when the indicator LED is activated. A second red LED needs to duplicate the indicator LED's action. A circuit to do this please. Supply is 12V.
471 op, 2N2222, 2N3819 Fet are handy.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
I am a bit confused.

You want a circuit to light 2 red leds from a 12v source? AC or DC?

And you are going to place a photo diode over one of the LEDs and hope to get 1uA 4.8mv ?

Is there anything else you want to tell us? please?

jack mcleod

Joined Sep 4, 2007
A wirless transmitter is 30' up a tree when activated an "indicator LED" comes on but I
cant see the "indicator LED" from the ground which is required. So I glued a photodiode
over the indicator LED to monitor the indicator LED's output. The photodiode has two wires running to the base of the tree. The output on the wires is 1 micro A & 4.8 mV when the indicator LED is on.
There is not enough current or voltage to have the second LED at the base of the tree
follow the indicator's (up the tree) activity. What circuitry at the base of the tree would allow the second LED (red) to activate & deactivate? At the base of the tree there is 12V DC to power the needed circuitry. Sorry about the lack of explanation hope this helps.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Why not just remove the existing LED, and replace it with 2 wires that run to the base of the tree, then re-connect the LED to the wires at the bottom?

That or you are going to need an opamp and additional power supplies to boost the signal.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
LEDs have to be connected so that current flows through them the proper way. If you connect them backwards, they won't light up.

jack mcleod

Joined Sep 4, 2007
The circuit's output needs to drive one red LED. The max. signal input is 4.8 mV &
1 micro A, dc. How do I boost the input enough to turn the LED on with the given input
and have it go off when there is no input?

jack mcleod

Joined Sep 4, 2007
The opamp circuit is what I'm needing - power for it is not a problem.
The transmitter's LED is required as is I cant just shift the indicator LED.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Jack,
Why can't you simply remove the existing LED from the board, insert the two wires, and re-connect the LED at the end of the two wires?

If you can't do that, what voltages do you have available, and are they regulated?
A remote opamp circuit probably won't work very well as electrical noise would give false indications.

jack mcleod

Joined Sep 4, 2007
The circuits output needs to drive one red LED. The max. signal input is 4.8 mV & 1 micro A, dc. How do I boost this enough to drive the red LED? Supply
power is not a problem.

jack mcleod

Joined Sep 4, 2007
As only one red LED plus the circuit is being driven 2-4 1.5 V cells would do the job. (There is 120V at the base of the tree and I could build a regulated
supply - probably over kill.) The circuit is only connected via the photodiode which forms an optocoupler - little if any noise. The circuit components FET,
BJT, opamp or IC is not a concern. Putting the circuit together is not an
issue knowing what to put together is. Both LED's just activate when a
momentary SW is activated and go off when deactivated. I apologise for
handling this poorly - hope you'll hang with me.

jack mcleod

Joined Sep 4, 2007
Not a school assignment - age 69. The transmitter is used at a different location for part of the year and its indicator light is required.

jack mcleod

Joined Sep 4, 2007
The transmitter is relocated for part of the year and needs to have its
indicator light. The circuit powers the LED & amplifyer so probably 2-4
1.5V cells would do the job. The only connection is the photodiode, basically
an optocoupler - little noise. The component's used and there arrangemnt is the mystery to me. Purchasing them and putting them together is not.
PS At 69 school is a distant dream. Sorry I'm not very good at this but I can read a catalogue. FET, BJT, opamp, IC willing to use anything to make this
happen. Thanks, Jack

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
How was this 4.8mV signal measured? Was diode reversed biased with a load resistor and voltage applied? A photo transistor,photo darlington transistor, or light dependent resistor might give a better signal. At base of tree about all that is needed is a comparator, a few resistors, V supply- even batteries, depending how long LED is on, & the LED.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
I would really consider de-soldering the LED and replacing it with some female headers. then you can easily insert an LED when you need it on the board, and insert the extension cord and LED when you need to see it at the base of the tree.

Less components to buy, and a pretty simple fix.