Photodiode as sensor interfaced with PIC16F84A

lloydi12345

Joined Aug 15, 2010
Hello.. I'm planning to use the output from the photodiode to generate logic 0 or logic 1 to be taken by a pic16f84a.. But i would like to try it first with a circuit.. Can you give or suggest a simple circuit where there are photodiode, IR LED, and LED (that will light if an obstacle is detected).

Here is the set of my sensors

IE0575HLG Infrared-Emitting Diode (100mA)
PD87BR1 Infrared-Emitting Pin Photo Diode Receiver 150mW

Hope somebody could help.. THanKS!

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Hello.. I'm planning to use the output from the photodiode to generate logic 0 or logic 1 to be taken by a pic16f84a.. But i would like to try it first with a circuit.. Can you give or suggest a simple circuit where there are photodiode, IR LED, and LED (that will light if an obstacle is detected).

Here is the set of my sensors

IE0575HLG Infrared-Emitting Diode (100mA)
PD87BR1 Infrared-Emitting Pin Photo Diode Receiver 150mW

Hope somebody could help.. THanKS!
Do you have to use that old expensive relic, or can your programmer use a more modern one. Like one Microchip MCU with a analog comparator module. In this case it can simplify your design. As a general tip I do not recommend any use of the 16f84a in any new project.
Do you have a partnumber for your chip? I would recommend looking at the data sheet for typical circuits.

lloydi12345

Joined Aug 15, 2010
Do you have to use that old expensive relic, or can your programmer use a more modern one. Like one Microchip MCU with a analog comparator module. In this case it can simplify your design. As a general tip I do not recommend any use of the 16f84a in any new project.
Do you have a partnumber for your chip? I would recommend looking at the data sheet for typical circuits.
Thank you sir for the reply, actually my project really uses pic16f877a but I planned to implement the circuit first to pic16f84a because when it would be destroyed it is 3x cheaper than PIC16f877a:).. I'm really having a problem using the sensor because I can't find its datasheet. Our project is obstacle detection and the only proximity sensors available to our place is this set of sensors and an ultrasonic which is 8x more expensive than this set :(. So I really want to use it.

lloydi12345

Joined Aug 15, 2010
Wow!!! how did you find it? I really didn't know that "PD" can be separated from the label, MY bad I'm such a search looser.. Thank you sir! really the exact PIN photo diode I'm having! If it's fine? can you help me implement it on a simple circuit that I have stated above? Now there's HOPE for me :D.. I've been looking for this datasheet since 3 days

EDIT (after reading): But sir i thought this was a receiver? is there something wrong? it's placed on other sites that this is an emitter? or i'm just got it wrong? but i think the datasheet says it "detectors of infrared application"

Last edited:

lloydi12345

Joined Aug 15, 2010
Just as friendly tip. Sometimes it make take a while before you get a answer. Just be patient ;)
From the data sheet we have that the PD-87BRD1 is a detector sensetive to IR-light. Not an emitter of IR-light
Yes sir! okay thank you.. I am patiently waiting..

anyway I would like to share what I have played on my circuits..I really don't know how to do the circuit so I hope you would understand :)

the voltage output measured between the visible LED is just 1.5v when the distance of the emitter and receiver is 1.5 inches..Should I place an op amplifier like LM324 to generate 5v?

Last edited: