Photocell Help please!!!!

alquimista1972

Joined Aug 8, 2008
Hello, I'm new member, I need advice with a photocell problem.
How can I turn off a light witch is working with a photocell???
I live in a very dark place(Good for my telescopes) but now the energy company installed a BIG light in front of my house.
I'd like to know how to deactivate that light(without break the light) ( no BB gun) just for 2 or 3 hours and then turn on the light again.
Do you think there is a solution???
thank you.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Is it wise to alter the property of somone else?

One thing you can do without altering the lamppost is shine with a lamp on the photocell.
If there is light coming on the cell the lamp will probably turn off.
(you will have to find out where the sensor is located).

Greetings,
Bertus

HarveyH42

Joined Jul 22, 2007
A cheap laser pointer. Really, a cheap $3.00 laser pointer, the beam spreads more at a distance. Use a spotting scope or binoculars to find the photo sensor. Sometimes they are top mounted, but I think side mounted is more common (birds can block them with feces). Once you find the window, just line up the laser with it. A tripod or stable mount, and you shouldn't have a problem.

theamber

Joined Jun 13, 2008
You can minimize light pollution with a hood on the telescope.
Besides you will need to shine another light to deactivate the electrical company light and that is an illegal practice. Someone can blame you if an accident happens nearby and that idea will also pollute your telescope. I suggest go to a field away from the city the view will be espectacular.

alquimista1972

Joined Aug 8, 2008
I know everybody think i live in the city but I live far away from the city(25 miles away), nobody drive or walk around here but I dont want to break the light because it help sometimes, I'll try the laser pointer or if you have another advice it'll be welcome

HarveyH42

Joined Jul 22, 2007
The laser pointer works, but there is a small delay before it goes out.

Was remembering a past thread about street lights. If I remember correctly, it involved UK kids kicking the metal poles, and somehow putting out the lights. There was some discussion about if this works, and how street lights are hooked up. Yours is likely under its own control, but some are apparently on timers, or have a central controller.