Phone call from Windows Support!

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I received my usual monthly call from Windows Service Support advising me of the fact my computer was spewing out some corrupted emails etc.
When I first received these calls just over a year ago from Islamabad or whatever part of the Indian subcontinent they originate from I used to get irritated and impatient with the whole scam.
Since then I sort of look forward to it, Now I dream up all kinds of wind ups to keep the guy hoping he has me hooked.
It usually ends with a response which I assume is some kind of cursing in either Hindi or Punjabi.
Anyone else have a ploy.
Max.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I play along as Mickey the Dunce. Can't find that menu, mistyping the commands, acting surprised at the number of errors, etc... In actuality, I am sitting in my comfy chair with a cold beer. I do this until i get bored or they give up. I might tell them I am a Windows security expert eventually and get hung up on.

Above all, have fun!

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
I get these calls too. When they get to the part where they ask if my computer is on I say no it is in the other room. They ask me to turn it on, so I say sure, put my phone down, and go about my business.

I wonder how long they wait online for me to return.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Lucky me.:rolleyes: Most of my nuisance calls are auto-dialed recordings that come from inside the U.S. (as far as I can tell). Never have found out what they're selling when the recording starts out with, "The F.B.I reports..."

Probably because I hang up before it gets to the 4th word.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Lucky me.:rolleyes: Most of my nuisance calls are auto-dialed recordings that come from inside the U.S. (as far as I can tell). Never have found out what they're selling when the recording starts out with, "The F.B.I reports..."

Probably because I hang up before it gets to the 4th word.

Most of the calls I get are those robo dialers. a computer dials a bunch of numbers at the same time. It monitors for a response. The operator then picks up. Usually there is a delay. I hang up long before when someone does not immediately respond on the other end.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
I hang up long before when someone does not immediately respond on the other end.
That's my tactic too. I just wish all the telcos around the planet could be forced to charge something nominal (even 1c, 1p or whatever) for all calls made. That would drastically reduce all the junk.

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
I think the telephone companies should be forced to stop them. All the calls I get are against the rules because I have opted out of being cold called. All the phone companies need to do is detect these 1 second calls and then pull the plug on the number.
On my mobile, after I hang up, I add the number to my phone book and then set the phone to not answer them, problem is I then get called back the next week from a phone number that is a few digits different.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I get those "the FBI reports" calls on a regular basis too. As well as something similar in spanish, I believe telling me I won a cruise. They come from a handful of numbers, sometimes from the same number 2 or 3 times, then a new number. I've called back a few of the numbers, and they are people or business with no affiliation to the spam. One I called back, was a legitimate small business, I confirmed with google. I said that I had gotten a call from their number talking about security systems, and they said that they get several calls per day from irate people demanding to be taken off their list. They dont know how or why someone else is using their number to make spam calls. That must suck to be them.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
That's my tactic too. I just wish all the telcos around the planet could be forced to charge something nominal (even 1c, 1p or whatever) for all calls made. That would drastically reduce all the junk.
Sounds like an excellent idea. Same should go for email.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I get those "the FBI reports" calls on a regular basis too. As well as something similar in spanish, I believe telling me I won a cruise. They come from a handful of numbers, sometimes from the same number 2 or 3 times, then a new number. I've called back a few of the numbers, and they are people or business with no affiliation to the spam. One I called back, was a legitimate small business, I confirmed with google. I said that I had gotten a call from their number talking about security systems, and they said that they get several calls per day from irate people demanding to be taken off their list. They dont know how or why someone else is using their number to make spam calls. That must suck to be them.
I can't see why the Telco companies can't make it so you can't spoof the caller ID.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I don't know, but you can do the same thing with email, FYI.
http://www.anonymailer.net/
Oh of course. Happens all the time in email. I get spam from myself sometimes. Something else you should not be able to do. Some mail servers do check somehow. I have had rejects on sending email because my from setting was different from the email address actually sending the email (I didn't have a SMTP server from my website hosting company),

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I get spam from myself sometimes.
Yeah, what's the logic behind that? Like I'm going to see an email titled "RE: Rock hard erection" from my own email address, and say "oh, yeah I forgot about that convo I was having with myself last week about the rockwell hardness rating of my cock. I wonder what my reply to myself was... I wonder if I had finally found a supplement that can cure me of this dreaded limpness... I had better check out this email and find out!"

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Yeah, what's the logic behind that? Like I'm going to see an email titled "RE: Rock hard erection" from my own email address, and say "oh, yeah I forgot about that convo I was having with myself last week about the rockwell hardness rating of my cock. I wonder what my reply to myself was... I wonder if I had finally found a supplement that can cure me of this dreaded limpness... I had better check out this email and find out!"

Regardless of where it comes from, I just wonder how that kind of spam even works in the first place.

1. So you are going to buy a drug from an unproven source and ingest it???

2. You are going to give your credit card information to that same source??

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Regardless of where it comes from, I just wonder how that kind of spam even works in the first place.

1. So you are going to buy a drug from an unproven source and ingest it???

2. You are going to give your credit card information to that same source??
1. me? no. Someone else? You'd be surprised.

2. me? no. Someone else? You'd be surprised.

PackratKing

Joined Jul 13, 2008
I have this canned-air powered boat horn...:D works fairly well...

I would really like to learn how to run a few thousand volts back through the circuit, and blow their equipment to hell, without damaging mine... I'd like to see " them " prove anything such as that...

I think I elucidated some time back what I would like to see done to malicious hackers...:eek:

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

I have an other solution.
At home I have 2 voip phone connections.
The number in the phonebook, goes directly to an answering machine.
(this is located at the provider, wich sends me an email with the message).
This number is also shown when I make a call.
The other (secret) number is given to special friends that may call us directly.

Bertus