Phenomenal luck !

PackratKing

Joined Jul 13, 2008
For once in the right place / time -- Two spools of elevator shaft cable, the one pictured, [ lousy focus w/o tripod - drywall square in there for size ] is approx 80 feet, the other has more different colors... and is 50 ft. best guess...

The contract firm tagged it as too short for a given job, and dumpstered it :eek: Not on MY watch they don't !! :D

I got a stinkin' suspicion that someone in the contract firm pitched it, intending to go back later and get it, but as said in divers' circles... you snooze - you lose... :rolleyes: I can hear Gilbert Gottfried now... :p

All I have to do is figure the best way to deal with it, as it will take one whale of a lot of work come spring to strip it out for individual wire...

The one has 1 ea. Bk Wh Gn in 14 Ga. -- 10 each Ye - Or in 18 ga. -- 2 Bn - 18 ga. -- approx 80 feet of this

The second has: in 18 Ga. -- 10 blu, 10 red, 4 grey, 7 brn, 3 blk, 8 ora,
in 14 Ga. 5 pur, 2 bk, 1 ea, yel, grn wh, and the four shielded pairs of 20 ga. bk wh, -- approx 50 feet of this...

The reason to strip it out and spool it, are the 4 pairs of Rd or bk / wh in 20 ga. with the copper braided shield.... Audio cable... not to scrap for the copper...

This is just toooo darn much wire for one person to keep... Come spring I will have it stripped out and parcelled up for the flea market... reasonable...

Attachments

Last edited:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Once upon a time, I lucked into a partial spool of RG-6 quadshield because it wasn't long enough to get to the next telephone pole. It seems like several hundred feet and will wire my house for the rest of my life, for the price of the end connectors.:D

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
All I have to do is figure the best way to deal with it, as it will take one whale of a lot of work come spring to strip it out for individual wire...
This one has 1 ea. Bk Wh Gn in 14 Ga. -- 10 each Ye - Or in 18 ga. -- 2 Bn - 18 ga. The reason to strip it out, are the 4 pairs of Rd Wh in 20 ga. with the copper braid
You could run it out a section at a time and use a box cutter with the blade set for the thickness of the outer ins.
Often this type of cable has a S.S. stranded wire strain relief running through it when used looped for small elevator applications.
Max.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Nope, no SS...
I had to buy some once to re-wire an old, I mean old, freight elevator, the original had a hemp rope running down the shaft and through the elevator, the idea was that the rope was pulled down in what ever direction you needed to go with the rope pulling a 3 phase reverser over at the top of the shaft to pick up the motor.
Needless to say it did not pass inspection when the building was renovated!
The inspector specified the S.S. core wire type for the new system.
Max.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
A good buddy of mine has a large salvage yard and I do most of his magnet crane and heavy equipment repair work plus any other odd things he needs when I visit.

They have about 80 acres of everything you can ever imagine that has been scrapped out in the last 100 years!

I just trade travel and labor for pickup and trailer loads of stuff.

Two summers ago a rather long rough work week scored me a 1968 International 190 series cab over fire truck! Still road worthy enough to drive it the 300 miles home on my next visit! :D

DCP02466.jpg

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I have retrieved two laptops from the e-waste bin.
Powered up both and they were working but sluggish. Wiped the HD and reloaded Win-XP and now they are both running fine.

Also picked up a Garmin Colorado 400 GPS not working.
Opened it, replaced the backup battery and now works like a charm.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
You only have to look to the sites such as ebay.
The founder started with the sale of a non-working laser pointer!

So prior to 1995, if you had any surplus, you advertised in the local rag etc. for an audience maybe occupying a 10mile ~ 50 mile radius etc.
Now all those 1000's of unused inventory items are bartered all over the world!
I just wish it had been around when I was working full time.
Max.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Have I mentioned that I have never bought a computer?
The Geek Squad at Best Buy pronounces them, "unrepairable, the owners give them to me, I replace the HDD, reload the OS, and Presto! I have a computer!

There are 5 of the Geek Squad Condemned in this room right now. Two are mine, 2 are for a customer, and one is an organ donor.

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
Have I mentioned that I have never bought a computer?
The Geek Squad at Best Buy pronounces them, "unrepairable, the owners give them to me, I replace the HDD, reload the OS, and Presto! I have a computer!

There are 5 of the Geek Squad Condemned in this room right now. Two are mine, 2 are for a customer, and one is an organ donor.
>Have I mentioned that I have never bought a computer?

Haha, nice.
I'm not that lucky as you, I always buy the second hand to use for about 15 years, now is using Intel(R) 2.4Ghz/1GB DRAM/VGA 128MB.

But sometimes that I really got some computers and CRT monitor or LCD from my friend, when I fixing the computer for him or do something for him, he will return me some second hand stuffs that still can be use, even the laser printer and copy machine.

My second hand LCD monitor already fixing twice, but last year damaged again that I still didn't fix it, so I using the 17" CRT monitor now, i checked the info about the my LCD monitor, the people said that has original design problem, so i'm thinking that should I fix it or not?

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
>

My second hand LCD monitor already fixing twice, but last year damaged again that I still didn't fix it, so I using the 17" CRT monitor now, i checked the info about the my LCD monitor, the people said that has original design problem, so i'm thinking that should I fix it or not?
Fix it or redesign the circuit that keeps breaking ....