Phase Shifted PWM Signals

george020106

Joined May 29, 2013
Help me, please.

I am trying to build a circuit using op-amp (LM7171A, TI) to delay 180° of a PWM signal (0v-3.3v, 500kHz).

I barely know anything about circuit, since I am a civil student. That's why I am here looking for help.

Any input will be appreciate. Thanks all.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
if you already have the LM7171a, just build an inverting amplifier with gain of 1.

Start with both resistors at 10k ohms (output voltage will equal input voltage).

george020106

Joined May 29, 2013
if you already have the LM7171a, just build an inverting amplifier with gain of 1.

Start with both resistors at 10k ohms (output voltage will equal input voltage).
Thanks, I was thinking of inverting amplifier circuit, but the initial amplitude is 0v, not 1.65v (half of 3.3v). So after inverting, the PWM signal is not right. :(

Stuntman

Joined Mar 28, 2011
If I am reading the goal of this circuit correctly, george, the inverting amp will not work.

An inverting amp will only shift the signal 180° (and retain PWM characteristics) when the master signal is 50% Duty Cycle. (figure 1 and figure 2)

Unfortunately, to actually produce a PWM phase shift of 180° regardless of duty cycle, you'll need a propagation delay of 1us (period of 500kHz=2us). (figure 3)

This can be done digitally without too much trouble. But analog will get substantially more complex.

Attachments

Last edited:

Ramussons

Joined May 3, 2013
An inverted signal is the same as a 180° phase shift.

Sorry, I don't think so. Its only when the stream is a square wave can one take the inversion as 180°phase SHIFT. The delay can be considered as +180° (leading) or as -180° (lagging).

In the case of a PWM, the two are NOT the same.

Attachments

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Help me, please.

I am trying to build a circuit using op-amp (LM7171A, TI) to delay 180° of a PWM signal (0v-3.3v, 500kHz).

I barely know anything about circuit, since I am a civil student. That's why I am here looking for help.

Any input will be appreciate. Thanks all.
George,
Could you please post a hand drawing of your desired output based on some input of varying pwm duty cycle. Your currnet question can be interpreted several ways, we need to know what you really want.

-Mark

george020106

Joined May 29, 2013
George,
Could you please post a hand drawing of your desired output based on some input of varying pwm duty cycle. Your currnet question can be interpreted several ways, we need to know what you really want.

-Mark
Thanks for your reminding. I should have done it earlier, so there will be no misunderstanding. I have attached the input and output signals I want.

Attachments

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
George,

this is an interesting problem but very challenging unless we move to a microcontroller. Can you explain "why" you need the PWM delayed by a half of a pulse? Better understanding of the problem will help us design a better solution.

george020106

Joined May 29, 2013
George,

this is an interesting problem but very challenging unless we move to a microcontroller. Can you explain "why" you need the PWM delayed by a half of a pulse? Better understanding of the problem will help us design a better solution.
Because my advisor wanted me to generate a PWM signal from -3.3V~3.3V, and kept the initial amplitude at 0V.

I was wondering I could make that out with delaying 180° of the signal, inverting it and combining it with the original one. That is why I want to delay that PWM signal.

Attachments

Stuntman

Joined Mar 28, 2011
Because my advisor wanted me to generate a PWM signal from -3.3V~3.3V, and kept the initial amplitude at 0V.

I was wondering I could make that out with delaying 180° of the signal, inverting it and combining it with the original one. That is why I want to delay that PWM signal.

I will say, this sounds like kind of an "odd" project. The zero initial amplitude has me puzzled as to what that is achieving, but lets move on.

Have you considered using your op amp to generate the -3.3 to 3.3V wave (perhaps something like this: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electronic/square.html)

But instead of powering the device right away, use a 555 or even another 741 to put a time delay to turn the power on and off to the device, giving you the 0 voltage at the beginning and end of the signal?

This would be my suggestion.

george020106

Joined May 29, 2013
I will say, this sounds like kind of an "odd" project. The zero initial amplitude has me puzzled as to what that is achieving, but lets move on.

Have you considered using your op amp to generate the -3.3 to 3.3V wave (perhaps something like this: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electronic/square.html)

But instead of powering the device right away, use a 555 or even another 741 to put a time delay to turn the power on and off to the device, giving you the 0 voltage at the beginning and end of the signal?

This would be my suggestion.
Really appreciate your suggestion, I will think about that very carefully. Thanks.:)

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Sometimes an advisor has to be taken by the hand and guided to a workable solution. In other words, an advsor's first impression of how to solve a problem is rarely the best one.

I am guessing you are trying to maintain a system around a center point. If that is the case, a center point Pwm is not an easy solution.

If you need some alternatives to solve this problem, let us know some details.