Phase Lock Loop Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertlee

Joined Mar 8, 2011
I need to design a Phase Lock Loop for my Project.
The input signal is a Resonant freq that will shift from 10Mhz @ 26 degrees Celsius downwards as temperature decreases @ 4khz per degrees Celsius
Output signal is required to be in digital value.

input freq varies linearly so i suppose a 2nd order LPF will suffice.
however i am not sure on how to design the VCO LPF MULTIPLIER circuit using inductors, resistors, capacitors e.t.c
can anyone help?

Last edited:

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
I need to design a Phase Lock Loop for my Project.
The input signal is a Resonant freq that will shift from 155kHz to 160kHz.
Output signal is required to be in digital value.

input freq varies linearly so i suppose a 2nd order LPF will suffice.
however i am not sure on how to design the VCO LPF MULTIPLIER circuit using inductors, resistors, capacitors e.t.c
can anyone help?
What is the purpose of the PLL?

robertlee

Joined Mar 8, 2011
My main project is to design a mems temperature sensor making use the the resonant freq shifting property of the mems chip to output the temperature.
MEMS sensor will output temperature by means of its shifting resonant frequency with reference to temperature.
therefore i need to design a PLL to get the output

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
My main project is to design a mems temperature sensor making use the the resonant freq shifting property of the mems chip to output the temperature.
MEMS sensor will output temperature by means of its shifting resonant frequency with reference to temperature.
therefore i need to design a PLL to get the output
I don't see why you need a PLL to read the resonant frequency.

robertlee

Joined Mar 8, 2011
i have decided to use a 3rd order butterworth LPF filter and Colpitts Oscillator for the PLL.
Gain for oscillator is designed to be 1.
Input and Output impedance set to 50 Ohms.
However i do not know what other design considerations do i have to take into account.
I have read up on various Colpitts oscillator designs and they come in different schematics with BJT or MOSFET transistors. I am confused on how to design the circuit

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
this is because eventually i need a digital value as output for the temperature sensor
Are you planning to replicate the resonant frequency with the PLL? If so, why don't you just pass the signal from the resonant circuit through a comparator? That will give you a digital version of the analog signal.
Am I missing something?

robertlee

Joined Mar 8, 2011
Are you planning to replicate the resonant frequency with the PLL? If so, why don't you just pass the signal from the resonant circuit through a comparator? That will give you a digital version of the analog signal.
Am I missing something?
Hi,
I am not replicating the resonant frequency.
My aim is to detect the shifting resonant frequency and convert it to a digital value.

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
Hi,
I am not replicating the resonant frequency.
My aim is to detect the shifting resonant frequency and convert it to a digital value.
I don't see how a PLL will help you do that. Can you explain? Perhaps a block diagram would help. It sounds to me like you need a frequency counter. You don't need a PLL for that.

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
So 155KHz represents one end of temperature range while 160KHz represents the other extreme of the temperature range. So you are looking to use the PLL to demodulate the shifting frequency from the MEMS sensor. Is that more or less what you are attempting to do?

hgmjr

robertlee

Joined Mar 8, 2011
So 155KHz represents one end of temperature range while 160KHz represents the other extreme of the temperature range. So you are looking to use the PLL to demodulate the shifting frequency from the MEMS sensor. Is that more or less what you are attempting to do?

hgmjr
YES
Fo for my case @ 26 degrees Celsius is roughly 10Mhz and as the temperature decreases, the Fo will decrease by 4kHz per degrees Celsius

mjhilger

Joined Feb 28, 2011
I'm confused about your design criteria. You have stated throughout this thread that the freq's of interest are 155 - 160 KHz. Then in the above you indicate 10 Mhz as Fo.
Trying to read between the lines, I think you have a mems sensor who's resonate frequency changes with temp and @ 26 Celsius this is at approx 10 Mhz. The sensors resonate freq will decrease by 4 KHz for each 1 degree C.
So, are you already mixing with a local osc to achieve the shift down to 155 KHz range? Or is the operating temp environment for the sensor such that the area of interest is 155/160 KHz. If you are going to need a digital response across a broad range, then hgmjr has already suggested the best solution - a counter. If the temp is such that the only frequencies that can exist are the 155 or 160 KHz, then you will use a PLL with a local VCO locked to the resonate freq. You would then compare the VCO control voltage and provide either a 1 or 0 (digital from a comparator using a threshold voltage level to adjust the compare [ I would also use hystersis]). I think hgmjr was trying to point you in that direction, but we are not clear about your needs.

Perhaps if you could provide all inputs and outputs that are necessary (and resolution of the signals as well). The more information you provide, the easier it will be to point you in the right direction.

robertlee

Joined Mar 8, 2011
hi sorry for the misunderstanding, i will not be using the PLL anymore though it works.
I have updated my first post nevertheless.
My Prof told me to design a low power Temperature sensor using MEMS Resonant freq and PLL is gg to take up a low power...
Therefore I started another thread.

THREAD CLOSE thnx

Status
Not open for further replies.