Pesky USB Ports - what would happen if I put Noalox in a USB port?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Lumenosity, May 10, 2018.

1. Lumenosity

Thread Starter Member

Mar 1, 2017
    I'm wondering if Noalox would ruin a USB port since it's 20% conductive Zinc dust?

I have USB ports that need to conduct their full milliamps but due to age and possible small amounts of corrosion don;t do a good job.

If not Noalox, what can you do to improve a USB ports conductivity?

2. Lumenosity

Thread Starter Member

Mar 1, 2017
    A quick call to Ideal (Noalox manufacturer) revealed that it should NOT be used on USB connections.

However, I found THIS at NO-OX-ID (sanchem.com)

NO-OX-ID APPLICATIONS & TESTIMONIALS
    Stereo enthusiasts and hobbyists love NO-OX-ID... BECAUSE IT WORKS!
    How hobbyists and some companies use NO-OXID A-Special, and some Testimonials:

1. Audio Connections
      • NO-OX-ID A-Special works absolute wonders on audio connections, especially on those pesky RCA connectors that tend to corrode on the inner surfaces of the ground shell, 1/4 phone and even USB connectors.

3. Alec_t

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 17, 2013
    Do NOT put conductive material into a USB port! Even contact-cleaning solvents could be risky, unless you know for sure that they won't affect plastic parts.
    Very light abrasion may help, but you risk removing any anti-oxidation plating on the contacts.

4. AlbertHall

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 4, 2014
  5. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    Sounds like failure by design right from the start..

6. Lumenosity

Thread Starter Member

Mar 1, 2017
    If you mean Micro USB ports.....I agree.
    They've been trouble on cell phones since day one for many people.

2nd ONLY to cracked screen glass in cell phone failures

7. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    I mean that if you are doing something that expects 100% performance out of anything and will not accept anything lower then you have set yourself up for instant failure..
    The phone or the port or glass is not the problem.. Humans are..
    The glass doesn't break itself.. The ports don't break themselves..
    I have never had a problem with a micro USB port..
    But I'm aware of its limitations and am gentle and respectful of it..

8. AlbertHall

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 4, 2014
    I heard a suggestion that you would have to have a licence if you wanted to have a baby. To get the licence you would have to bring along your phone and if it had a cracked screen you would be refused ;)

-live wire- likes this.
  9. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    Sounds like a reasonable step..
    In certain states in the US they have banned drinks over 20oz or something like that.. We don't even trust people to make healthy decisions so we need to pass laws like that..
    sad..

-live wire- likes this.
  10. Lumenosity

Thread Starter Member

Mar 1, 2017
    Ok, I think you're saying the device (in this case a Thermal Imaging Camera) is demanding too much current for the phones USB port to deliver...or that it may be demanding near the limit of what it can deliver. Is that correct?

I'll have to check into that. Right now I don't know what the current demands are for the Thermal Imaging device nor the rated specs on the Phones USB port. The phones USB port I'm pretty sure MUST meet standards set forth by International Communities that set such standards.

I do know that a large number of these devices have been sold and I don't see that as a common problem so maybe it's just my phone.
    The one I'm using to be honest is an older one.

Also, I'm not sure if the issue is the battery or the USB circuit of the phone (or the devices demands). I'd need to load test the battery.

Is there a way to measure the current carrying capacity of a particular phones USB port?