PERTAINING TO THREAD CLOSURE

b.shahvir

Joined Jan 6, 2009
Dear Beenthere,

:) Hi, I was appalled by the rather abrupt way in which the thread ‘Light up LED From AC 230v’ by Kuma.lk in the ‘General Electronics Chat’ section of this forum was ‘locked out’ pertaining to safety issues. I myself have used or handled several LED circuits directly powered by the 230VAC mains. In my opinion, a cautionary advice on electrical safety (like the one you had posted) would have sufficed……. rather than closing the entire thread.

Besides, I think Kuma.lk would be mature enough not to thrust his precious appendages into the circuit when it’s all juiced up!

P.S. Please do not misunderstand me. I do not intend to judge your decision or offend you in anyway whatsoever! It is my opinion as regards the same which I felt I should express.

Thanks & Kind Regards,
Shahvir

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
The nature of these forums is extremely public. If we only dealt with members as individuals, we could assess each as to level of experience and provide guidance based on that. But, as we are public, we have to limit some topics due to the inherent level of danger.

The middle paragraph of Rule 2 in the Terms and Conditions of AAC is the basis -
Forum members must not knowingly provide any information that may adversely affect another member; this includes, but is not restricted to, information that may potentially result in injury, death, damage or destruction of property and possessions. The administration takes this matter seriously and has the right to remove any contentious content and deal with the offending member as it deems is necessary.

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
The nature of these forums is extremely public. If we only dealt with members as individuals, we could assess each as to level of experience and provide guidance based on that. But, as we are public, we have to limit some topics due to the inherent level of danger.

The middle paragraph of Rule 2 in the Terms and Conditions of AAC is the basis - .

Based on this criteria, just about everything I've done as an electronics hobbyist should be permanently BANNED! :D

A brief excerpt from my "Opus of Amateur Radio Knowledge and Lore". :)

"....Let us now address each of these points in detail. Number one, electrocution, is a good place to start. Amateur Radio is an electrical hobby. Radio amateurs, for the most part (with a few notable exceptions), have bodies which are every bit as subject to the ill effects of electricity as other mortals. Fortunately, the modern ham shack is far safer in this regard than those of yore. Most modern, commercially made radios have nearly inaccessible sources of dangerous electrical currents. With the advent of low-voltage, solid state technology, you almost have to work at getting a lethal jolt.
Contrast this with the typical radio shack of half a century ago, which consisted of a loose collection of extremely high-voltage components lashed together with uninsulated jumper cables, sitting on the edge of a water-soaked desk, all powered by a distribution panel populated entirely with glass “fuses” bypassed with corroded copper pennies, and operated by a pre-teen boy sitting on a steel folding chair donning nothing but damp swimming trunks.
It really is amazing that anyone survived the hobby at all. But here we are...."

b.shahvir

Joined Jan 6, 2009
Number one, electrocution, is a good place to start...... have to work at getting a lethal jolt.
;) Classic example of NO PAIN, NO GAIN....... i have got zapped so many times pursuing my hobbies that i have practically lost count!

:rolleyes: I think some risks are in-evident and a part of the learning process.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
That may be the case, but working with non-isolated line voltage is an aviodable danger. That carries a very real risk of death.