Personal win over balky TV

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I just felt like reporting that my 31 inch Sanyo CRT television decided to have a vertical scan collapse. In about an hour I had opened it up, looked up the usual suspects on the schematic, found and fixed the crystalized solder joints on the vertical output chip, and had it running.

Yay! So good to save a $300 TV with 10 cents worth of solder. May all your problems be so easy to fix :)

Joined Nov 30, 2010
(I think) All TV's break. Sometimes you get lucky.

I have the drawings. I can get parts if I need them. If it waits another 9 years to break again, I will be happy enough and long past due to buy a TV with a digital tuner in it.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Take it apart and do no harm, that the sign of a good tech. Repairing the

problem is a rare thing today even with all the electronic chatter. GOOD JOB

Joined Nov 30, 2010
That's a good point, loosey. Having been in the troubleshooting business for 40 years, I rarely think that not breaking it when you take it apart is an accomplishment. In fact, it is an accomplishment for many products and many beginners. Ultrasonic plastic welding, potting compounds, thoughtless designs, and intentional self-destruct designs make repairs difficult to impossible for some products and some people.

Doctors think their first rule is, "Do no harm". Maybe the first rule in electronics repairs should be, "Don't break it worse than it was".

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
I have seen people repair their problem,to have a T.V. that wouldn't work

due to there testing in the wrong places,before they found the real problem.

I had an engineer that would start at the tuner R.F. on every set he touched.

Couldn't break his habits,he had to go. I think I was one of the few private shops

that had chalk board class during working hours,up to three hours.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Ultrasonic plastic welding, potting compounds, thoughtless designs, and intentional self-destruct designs make repairs difficult to impossible for some products and some people.
I challenge you to take apart a Keurig coffee pot without totally destroying it. If you succeed, I will eat my shorts and post a pic.

I stomped the last remaining semblance of a coffee pot out of my Keurig before slamming it to the bottom of the recycle bin, just for good measure.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I recently found out that the way I make coffee is called, "coyboy coffee".
40 years ago, I would put water in a pan, add coffee grounds, bring it to barely a boil, and filter it with a paper filter and a funnel. Now I use a 1 quart Pyrex measuring cup and a microwave oven. Much quicker!

You too can quit wasting your money on machines that are designed to break. Just buy the filter papers at the grocery store and do the rest with stuff you already have. Living in the stone age has certain advantages.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
ah, the trump card. LOL
the challenge still stands though, if someone else happens to have one of these things that needs fixing, give it a shot.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Yes, the trump card: Don't need "modern" machines.
I am amused at the idea of fixing a coffee machine.
I can make coffee the old fashioned way in less than 5 minutes.
Of course it used to take longer. Fifty years ago, I had to walk down to the spring and get the water.
If it wasn't winter, I had to build a fire.
I admit that I use a microwave oven now.
If that doesn't work, I have an electic stove,
If that doesn't work, I have an oxy-acetylene torch,
and I can still make a fire out of wood,
but I will never repair a coffee machine.

PS, I'm reading "Sail" by James Patterson right now. My neice gave it to me.
It sucks. I thought it was a thriller but the author is throwing in so many improbable hazards that I finally broke down and laughed at how badly he butchered the formula. He must be doing it on purpose. Nobody could write that badly by accident.

It's like, the butler in the study with a candle stick, and a tropical storm, and a trecherous villian, and a skivey lawyer, and a huge snake, and an explosion on the boat, which sprunk a leak, and the radio got smashed, and lightning hit the mast, and a man-eating shark, and the EPIRB was tampered with, and a compound broken leg, with an infection, and no medical help, and there are still 42 chapters to go. I'm expecting maybe an earthquake, measles, and cannibals in the next 10 pages. LOL!

Last edited:

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Well don't take me for a member of the blind consumer herd - that's my wife ;). When I was single I made coffee with a french press, basically the same thing you're doing except with a wire mesh screen instead of a paper filter.

I doubt this book "Sail" could be any more grandiose that the movie "The Avengers"