Person walks into room - light on. Walks out - light off. How to achieve?

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Now that is curious... Both require an additional plate/cover. Strange... Especially since it FILLS the switch box so there is no room to add anything requiring a modified plate. Guess they figure a few pennies extra profits selling the plate separately. Or extremely rowdy residents prone to smashing switchplates during their escapades.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Now that is curious... Both require an additional plate/cover. Strange... Especially since it FILLS the switch box so there is no room to add anything requiring a modified plate. Guess they figure a few pennies extra profits selling the plate separately. Or extremely rowdy residents prone to smashing switchplates during their escapades.
Would you like White or Beige with that sir? :)

Ron

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Never bought any but beige and cringe when my artist wife paints them. Occasionally saw a brown one but white is gaining popularity it seems. Not that there is that much "Plate" around that device. The one in my old office had the plate built into it. Oh yeah, the Isolated Ground Safety Orange ones.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Never bought any but beige and cringe when my artist wife paints them. Occasionally saw a brown one but white is gaining popularity it seems. Not that there is that much "Plate" around that device. The one in my old office had the plate built into it. Oh yeah, the Isolated Ground Safety Orange ones.
See, your artist wife should make wall plate color decisions. Really, my mom was an artist and while my sisters have her gift of color perception it went right past me. :)

Ron

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
She just paints over them with whatever color she is putting on the walls and me being colorblind, I'm just along for the ride. LOL I keep telling her you don't paint the covers but she doesn't believe me. Ah well, don't sweat the small stuff,

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
There is another scheme that always works perfectly and only switches off when the last person leaves. It was at a hotel I stayed at. To switch on the lights and air conditioning I had to put my door key card into a slot in a small box on the wall near the door. Lights and A/C worked until time to pull the card out and leave. Always had to take the card to get back in, other wise quite a walk to the desk fo get a replacement. Probably quite a simple system, and they always knew when the rom was empty so that the maid could clean it.
Always works perfectly? Only switches off when the last person leaves?

So I rent a hotel room that I'm sharing with someone. We each have a card key. We go in the room and I put my card key in the box. We then go down to dinner, leaving my card key in the box and use the other person's card key to get into the room when we return.

Or we only have a single card key and when I leave to get something out of the car, I have to pull the card key out leaving the other person in the dark.

Or I rent a room by myself and I have a colleague come over to work on a report or something. It is getting late and I leave to go have dinner why the other person finishes up and plans to leave before I get back. I've had that happen more than once (either in my room or someone elses).

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
But it might be going into a switch box that has more than one switch position in it. It might have a switch for a fan or it might have outlets in the same box, so you need a variety of options and it makes sense to sell them separately.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I just saw a circuit that includes the counter so that the lights only switch off after the last person leaves. I don't think that I am supposed to re-post it, but it is called "Semi-Switch", some place in the "lighting" directory of the "schematics for free" website.

And at Home DEpot near me there are quite a few different color wall plates available.