PERMANENT Clear Contact Paper

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
I've searched high, low, and even on the interwebs looking for clear contact "paper" with a permanent glue, but all I find is "repositionable" which means it doesn't stick for {insert bad words here}.

Not wanting to spray on a clear coat to cover label legends this is an issue for me.

Anyone know of a source?

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
I think what you want is clear overlaminate labels. intended to go over other labels to increase the chemical/uv/weather/abrasion resistance?

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
When I make labels, I iron one side of a lamination pouch to them. It has worked well for me so far. I get them at office depot.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Thanks all.

Have you considered clear plastic book cover, MACtac for example?

http://www.wikihow.com/Cover-a-Paperback-Book-With-Clear-Plastic-Film
I can't find a specific product from MACtac, but the Demco laminate in the linked Wiki does look very interesting... large rolls and expensive with shipping, but buy once use for a lifetime.

BTW, I'm trying to cover the entire top box of a two piece sheet metal cabinet to secure & protect the labels on it and this requires a piece about 18x20 inches.

Anything smaller need not apply.

Goggling these turned up something called "Duck Clear Laminate" at Staples (nationwide office supply store here in the states) that keeps turning up in the reviews as "sticks as well as the old fashioned clear contact paper" so I might have found a source finally!

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
How about smart phone and tablet screen protectors? How do they adhere to the glass?
I think it's static cling. I've watched my wife apply those to all of our phones (I don't have the patience or finesse to do it right) and she removes and repositions them several times before it's right. They don't seem to have an actual adhesive, at least not a very strong one.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I always keep a roll around. Comes in handy for many other things. Yes, I have used it for making my own labels on instruments such as sticking instructions on to gadgets or for laminating and waterproofing paper things.