Pending articles

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I haven't check the blogs yet, so this post may be premature. I like to write, but I would not class my stuff as very good. I was looking at the ebook and noticed that there is a lot of work to be done.

By the way, I love the concept, I suspect that when it is finished it will be resource worthy of many schools to use, both in high schools and college levels.

Anyhow, lets say I wrote an article for the book, and wanted to put it up for peer review. How would I know I'm not stepping on anyone's toes because they are working on it, and where would I post it. Here?

Thanks.

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Bill,

If you check in the blog section you will see that Dave has placed some helpful information on how to contribute to the e-book. That would be a good place to start.

hgmjr

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Hi Bill,

Thanks for expressing an interest in helping out; any help is as always appreciated, even if it just proofreading existing sections.

I blogged about this last week: http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/blog.php?b=20

The blog entry refers you to the relevant sections on the site about contributing. Please note several points:

1) This work is released under the DSL license and any contributed work falls under this license.

2) Because of the free (as in price and freedom) nature of this project, there are restrictions on acceptable softwares (i.e. only non-proprietary softwares are accepted to ensure accessibility for all).

3) We have a current worklist. Sadly this worklist is not so much a dynamic work-in-progress, but merely outlines some of the work that must be done. If you were to want to pick up on one of the worklist packages, then I'm sure we could arrange for that section to be removed from the worklist - thus you "own" that workpackage and it is not viewable as a package for others.

You have started in the right place by asking the question here in this forum. It is now up to you what contribution you wish to make. Let us know and I'm sure Dennis (the e-book coordinator) will let us know the status of this work package and whether you can move forward with it.

Regards,

Dave

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I've read the stuff, and have no problem with any of it. I'll be writing the docs on my computer in Word97, but I'll convert them as requested before submitting them. I can email them as requested also, but is there any heartburn putting them on this forum?

I'd like to start with a short artical on ESD. I've done this before, for some computer groups. I think it would a good addition in front of the semiconductors, just to aquant people with the basics or possibly in the static electricity chapters.

Dave, is the email beginning with dcrunkilton yours? Thanks.

-----------------------------------------------------------

OK, I read a bit deeper, and now feel a bit stupid. I'll write Tony.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
I've read the stuff, and have no problem with any of it. I'll be writing the docs on my computer in Word97, but I'll convert them as requested before submitting them. I can email them as requested also, but is there any heartburn putting them on this forum?
Feel free to post up on this forum of you want to get some feedback before submitting them as requested.

I'd like to start with a short artical on ESD. I've done this before, for some computer groups. I think it would a good addition in front of the semiconductors, just to aquant people with the basics or possibly in the static electricity chapters.
Seems fair. I will ask Dennis (the e-book coordinator) to give you some input on how it will fit into the Semiconductors Volume. He frequents here regularly and well see this thread. I am sure he will provide some input to this discussion.

Dave, is the email beginning with dcrunkilton yours? Thanks.
No the dcrunkilton e-mail address is that of Dennis.

OK, I read a bit deeper, and now feel a bit stupid. I'll write Tony.
Tony is no longer involved in the project, although I am sure he keeps a keen interest on its development.

Dave

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I'm looking for pictures of ESD zapped components that can be added without copyright issues. I'll do research myself, but if anyone has any good photos I'd appreciate the heads up.

A lot of the basic illustrations I'll do myself. People have seen a lot of my work already around the forums. I'm not an artist, but I am competent with technical sketches.

Chris01720

Joined Dec 31, 1969
I'm looking for pictures of ESD zapped components that can be added without copyright issues. I'll do research myself, but if anyone has any good photos I'd appreciate the heads up.

A lot of the basic illustrations I'll do myself. People have seen a lot of my work already around the forums. I'm not an artist, but I am competent with technical sketches.
If you know anybody who works for IBM, Cisco, Motorola, Apple, etc. you might be able to talk to them. They may no somebody in one of their FCC compliance labs. That person could probably take some good pictures of ESD damage with their own digital camera. In fact, those companies may already have so photos that they are willing to release for free use.

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005

Here is a google-image search link that provided several hits to images of ESD damage.

hgmjr

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
OK, I've been checking into it, copyright is a major issue. I can not take a picture I like and use it. I'll be making most of the pictures, both photographs and drawings, so it won't be a problem. Making pictures of ESD damage on die isn't something I can do, but I'll look into what I can do.

For a picture to be eligible for the eBook it has to be either clearly stated that it is open source or permission has to be clearly given before we can even consider using it. Using someone else's picture is actually not preferred, because there is always the chance it will be a minefield in some way, though there has been a case or two where it has been done. Pictures definitely fall under the domain of copyright, and for the most part, photographers guard their product jealously. Can't blame em for that.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
OK, I've been checking into it, copyright is a major issue. I can not take a picture I like and use it. I'll be making most of the pictures, both photographs and drawings, so it won't be a problem. Making pictures of ESD damage on die isn't something I can do, but I'll look into what I can do.

For a picture to be eligible for the eBook it has to be either clearly stated that it is open source or permission has to be clearly given before we can even consider using it. Using someone else's picture is actually not preferred, because there is always the chance it will be a minefield in some way, though there has been a case or two where it has been done. Pictures definitely fall under the domain of copyright, and for the most part, photographers guard their product jealously. Can't blame em for that.
This is entirely the case, however some publishers of photos will place the pictures in the public domain and make they freely available for use. Typically, this is how Wikipedia uses pictures etc.

Dave

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
Unfortunately, most of the ESD zapped components I've seen aren't very exciting, they look the same but just don't work any more.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008

I have permission to use this, working out final details now. This was latent damage, the 3 terminal regulator lasted around an hour of use.

I think this qualifies as serious charring.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
It's very sad, but in makeing the changes I kept modifying the original article. To solve it I changed its color, which caused it to be too big to fit in one post, so I had to move part of it around. Just leting you know why I'm doing some of the strangeness.

I just hope I didn't introduce more problems than I fixed. :p

I've bleed all over the article, let me know what you think.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Sure, I found it here...

http://www.bunniestudios.com/blog/?p=212

This is from an entrepreneur that has made niftly (but expensive) little gadget that uses your wireless internet signal and a small color display for an all purpose alarm clock with tons of extras, like streaming radio stations, current weather, stock prices, and whatever else you can dream up. After I wrote him I noticed a link I don't think was there before popped up going to his marketing website.

http://store.chumby.com/

Right now I'm trying to figure out how to format these pictures. I have several ideas, I currently lean towards merging them into a large picture with the caption as part of the picture, including the credits.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I have never had trouble getting permission to use copyrighted materials in other published works, and I have never had to pay a fee for using small portions of the work.

Getting permission may sound like a difficult task and involve payment of royalty, but that has not been my experience in the scientific fields. We had a form letter that went to the owner, came backed stamped something to the effect that it was OK, and was then included with the manuscript.

Have you tried that route? Is there a specific picture you want to use? If so, I will try to find some of my old files and dust off that form letter. John

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
At this time it is done, I believe. I'll let the owners of the site and Dave decide if I've done my homework correctly. That is the only picture I will get from an outside source, for obvious reasons.

I've added the picture to the article. I may need to scale it down some, at this time it is a 117K file. I picked the better compression method, which in this case is JPG. Dave, please let me know if it needs changing, and if I can keep it. Thanks.

Dcrunkilton

Joined Jul 31, 2004