Peak Oil

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
not so sure that either one was a suicide... that is just what news reported.

i would like to know how exactly is medical examiner able to tell in a case like this it was a suicide or if deceased was pushed.
report should state if the cause of death was natural or not, and what the likely cause is (drowning, blunt trauma, bleeding to death, burns, whatever etc.) and keep the speculations out.
https://www.businessinsider.com/bed-bath-and-beyond-cfo-found-dead-insider-trading-lawsuit-2022-9
The Bed Bath & Beyond Chief Financial Officer Gustavo Arnal, who was found dead on Friday after falling from the 18th floor of a New York City apartment building, recently was named in a lawsuit accusing him of fraud.

The incident occurred less than two weeks after the executive, 52, was named in a federal class-action lawsuit on allegations of federal securities fraud, insider trading, and breach of fiduciary duty, according to court documents.
https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/04/business/cfo-bed-bath-beyond-jumps-off-nyc-tower/index.html
The law enforcement source told CNN Sunday that Arnal's wife witnessed him jump. The source said while no suicide note was found, no criminality is suspected.
"Walks like a duck"

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
i would like to know how exactly is medical examiner able to tell in a case like this it was a suicide or if deceased was pushed.
report should state if the cause of death was natural or not, and what the likely cause is (drowning, blunt trauma, bleeding to death, burns, whatever etc.) and keep the speculations out.
what makes you think there is ANY speculation involved? What makes you think a medical examiner is required to determine if evidence exists? What if there was a witness? What if there were multiple witnesses. Or video recordings? Or sign-in/sign-out records of who was in the building (or room). Your narrow view of "evidence" is not necessarily evidence of anything.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
what makes you think there is ANY speculation involved? What makes you think a medical examiner is required to determine if evidence exists? What if there was a witness? What if there were multiple witnesses. Or video recordings? Or sign-in/sign-out records of who was in the building (or room). Your narrow view of "evidence" is not necessarily evidence of anything.
The medical examiner was likely busy with other important cases.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
law enforcement source told CNN Sunday that Arnal's wife witnessed him jump

She pushed him for the insurance money. No other income if he was in jail...
Not to mention the tons of money lost on his lawyers at trial.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
law enforcement source told CNN Sunday that Arnal's wife witnessed him jump

She pushed him for the insurance money. No other income if he was in jail...
Not to mention the tons of money lost on his lawyers at trial.
Pushed? Prodded, nagged, complained... also possible.

panic mode

Joined Oct 10, 2011
"Walks like a duck"
i don't know, maybe he did kill himself... not something that i am much interested in.
all i see reported is:
"he jumped..."
"CNN tells that wife saw him jump"
"he was investigated for fraud"

none of this tells that he was prone to suicide or ever considered it. none of this proves or disproves that there was or wasn't any foul play involved. which is why i asked what specifically tipped of the medical examiner that this was indeed suicide. he was not present. all he has to work with is the body. medical examiner that bases his conclusion on what wife of deceased tells rather than examining the body is not curious at all. btw when someone dies prematurely (anything but natural causes) it is common that family and those closest to victim are considered as possible suspects. it would not be the first time that someone who lost big chunk of money decided to retaliate. apparently none of that is needed here, her word to media was good enough to quickly bury any investigation. sounds much like police investigation few centuries ago. my point is that if there was a killer, it is lose... and while come still consider CNN a reputable news outlet, i am much more skeptical. i would not trust CNN to tell me the time of the day. nothing smells fishy like company building reputation on its own words like "reliable sources". just saying.

if i am inspecting deceased piece of equipment ("the body"), i may find damaged components, burned PCB etc. based on those observation i can conclude that board was damaged due to X or Y (high voltage, wrong polarity etc.). I may not be possible to state confidently if the observed damage was intentional (user error for example) or accidental. the medical examiner seem to have crystal ball in determining if there was an intent, by looking at corpse that splattered on the pavement. maybe there was no axe embedded in the back of the victim...

Last edited:

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
i don't know, maybe he did kill himself... not something that i am much interested in.
all i see reported is:
"he jumped..."
"CNN tells that wife saw him jump"
"he was investigated for fraud"

none of this tells that he was prone to suicide or ever considered it. none of this proves or disproves that there was or wasn't any foul play involved. which is why i asked what specifically tipped of the medical examiner that this was indeed suicide. he was not present. all he has to work with is the body. medical examiner that bases his conclusion on what wife of deceased tells rather than examining the body is not curious at all. btw when someone dies prematurely (anything but natural causes) it is common that family and those closest to victim are considered as possible suspects. it would not be the first time that someone who lost big chunk of money decided to retaliate. apparently none of that is needed here, her word to media was good enough to quickly bury any investigation. sounds much like police investigation few centuries ago. my point is that if there was a killer, it is lose... and while come still consider CNN a reputable news outlet, i am much more skeptical. i would not trust CNN to tell me the time of the day. nothing smells fishy like company building reputation on its own words like "reliable sources". just saying.

if i am inspecting deceased piece of equipment ("the body"), i may find damaged components, burned PCB etc. based on those observation i can conclude that board was damaged due to X or Y (high voltage, wrong polarity etc.). I may not be possible to state confidently if the observed damage was intentional (user error for example) or accidental. the medical examiner seem to have crystal ball in determining if there was an intent, by looking at corpse that splattered on the pavement. maybe there was no axe embedded in the back of the victim...
Do you have any experience in human (Non-electronic) autopsies? Or analyzing video evidence? Or any reason we should question the authorities in the US? Or any reason to defame the name or skills of the investigators?

panic mode

Joined Oct 10, 2011
no... i am not in business of doing human autopsies and have not seen video evidence. but if you have some, please do share it. that would answer my question.

i have a lot of reservations regards any authority - US or elsewhere. so forgive me for asking questions. btw how is asking a question defamation? as an engineer, i ask a lot of questions about anything. i like to base my views on evidence and not take anything for granted, regardless who the authority on something is.

there seem to be plenty of curious deaths that have been ruled suicide and others are not. some of more popular examples listed as suicide include Epstein and Mark Middleton. later one was found hanged and with shotgun blast to his chest. what is the chance of that?

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
no... i am not in business of doing human autopsies and have not seen video evidence. but if you have some, please do share it. that would answer my question.
If you take the energy to question but no effort to investigate - seems like a waste of time to me. Just enjoying the gossip? May as well spend your sundays talking to the old ladies in the church basement and discuss who was making eyes at whom during mass. Idle gossip.

panic mode

Joined Oct 10, 2011
research requires time and that is limited commodity. so when someone else brings up something along with claim, why not ask if more info is at hand? that is pretty much what forum is about. ... and why miss a chance to get told what to think, do and enjoy by someone intolerant. you know someone attacking freedoms, religion, gender and age.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Why I'm staying with gas for heating in winter and upgrading my solar battery based energy storage for summer. Electrical energy rates are becoming outlandish here where we have a surplus of electrical energy.

https://www.eia.gov/state/analysis.php?sid=OR
In every year since 2007, Oregonians used less electricity than the state's power plants generated and the excess power went to other states by way of the Western Interconnection—one of North America's principal power grids.36 The Western Interconnection reaches from western Canada down to Baja California in Mexico and stretches from the Pacific Ocean eastward across the Rocky Mountains to the Great Plains.37 Major transmission lines of the Western Interconnection link Oregon's electricity grid to California's grid, allowing for large interstate electricity transfers between the Pacific Northwest and the Southwest.38 Although originally designed to transmit inexpensive hydroelectricity south to California, the flow sometimes reverses to bring solar power to the Pacific Northwest.39