PDF bookmarks

Ulfalizer

Joined Jun 29, 2005
It would be handy if the PDF files had bookmarks (of the PDF meta-data kind), especially when reading on handheld devices with very limited PDF readers, and without the ability to render HTML. Just having a single bookmark per chapter would ease browsing work tremendously.

Looking forward to reading the books,
Ulf

Dcrunkilton

Joined Jul 31, 2004
Originally posted by Ulfalizer@Jun 29 2005, 06:05 AM
It would be handy if the PDF files had bookmarks (of the PDF meta-data kind), especially when reading on handheld devices with very limited PDF readers, and without the ability to render HTML. Just having a single bookmark per chapter would ease browsing work tremendously.

Looking forward to reading the books,
Ulf
[post=8815]Quoted post[/post]​
Thanks for the excellent suggestion. This answer has been a long time in coming, if you look at the date of the original post. However, it was such a good idea; though, I had no idea how to do it back then, that I have been looking for the answer ever since. A major motivational factor was this PHD thesis. They (theses) are usually generated with LaTeX, which readily converts to PDF. We also use this process to get the pdf version of "Lessons in Electricity". I had never seen a thesis with active links(bookmarks). Much to my surprise this PDF document contained bookmarks or links to both internal and external references. Most theses are desined to lie seldom viewed on dusty university library shelves. Not this thesis. It is available online, and has the active links that you were asking for. It seems to combine the best of web page style links and the ability of pdf to be both viewed and printed.

Once, I knew it was actually possible to process our LaTeX documents into PDF with links, I found a package called hyperref to process the links. This package for LaTeX adds links to the TOC. The TOC entries link to the Chapter titles and section titles within the book. The index at the end of the book links the page numbers to the location of the index entry within the book. In short, the PDF version of the books are much easier to navigate.

If you are interested in the "Lessons in Electricty" PDFs with bookmarks, start at the main page and navigate to the volume of interest. Below the individual page(s) TOC, find a download PDF link.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Originally posted by ouabache@Jul 16 2005, 03:37 AM
If you get the full version of Adobe Acrobat, it has search capability within PDF text.
[post=9095]Quoted post[/post]​
The text search feature is available in the free version of Adobe Reader, you do not need to purchase the full standard version.

Dave