PCB

Iodem_Asakura

Joined Sep 14, 2004
Hi guys.

I have a PCB design that i made in my computer. Now i want to print it and make a PCB with it.

How shall i print it? Ink or Laser printer? What kind of paper must i use? How to transfer the design to the bakelite?

Take in consideration that is very difficult for me to get photosensitive bakelite. So i must use normal bakelite and use normal products to remove the copper.

Thanks for your help

mozikluv

Joined Jan 22, 2004
Originally posted by Iodem_Asakura@Jul 19 2005, 07:21 PM
Hi guys.

I have a PCB design that i made in my computer. Now i want to print it and make a PCB with it.

How shall i print it? Ink or Laser printer? What kind of paper must i use? How to transfer the design to the bakelite?

Take in consideration that is very difficult for me to get photosensitive bakelite. So i must use normal bakelite and use normal products to remove the copper.

Thanks for your help
[post=9178]Quoted post[/post]​

hi,

you could have just drawn your circuit directly on the board, that could have save you the trouble. way back when the photosen was not yet available for me, i printed the computer designed foil trace on a thin film plastic used for silk screen printing. then have it cut out meticulously, then lay it on top of the board and spray paint it. voila! i now have it neat on the board ready for etching. :D

moz

Iodem_Asakura

Joined Sep 14, 2004
I don't want to draw the design directly on the board, 'cause i want it to look more professional. The method you describe is good but slow and tedious.

I believe i saw before a method where you can print your design on some kind of paper and transfer the printed design to the board using heat. But i don't know how exactly to do it. I'd like to hear more suggests.

Thanks

shreyas_bhat

Joined Jul 26, 2004
Hi Iodem

I would urge you to get a print out of your design on a transparency.
Use presensitized PCB boards (they already have a photoresist masking layer and are readily available in electronic stores for ~$10).
Next, place the transparency on top of the board and expose under white light or UV for say a minute.
Most presensitized boards get developed in an alkali based developer (like sodium hydroxide).
After developing, etch it in a ferric chloride solution for say an hour at 50 C.

You should have a good quality PCB ready to experiment !!

sb

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
Use a mirror image of the circuit (very important).

Use laser printer.

Transfer the design directly onto the copper using an iron (clothing iron, not solder iron) on low or medium heat.

Clean the design up using a "sharpie" marker.

Etch.

Garry

Joined Jul 1, 2005
How large is your desing? Considering the overall cost for material and work, going through some of the professional PCB services might be an option, plus will look a lot more professional, too ... also, you might even be able to reduce the PCB size by using double sided PCB (which isn't really that easy to do at home) ...

mozikluv

Joined Jan 22, 2004
Originally posted by Iodem_Asakura@Jul 25 2005, 08:51 PM
My design is really small. It's about 1.5 inch x 2.5 inch. I prefer to it in home, so i can learn.
[post=9256]Quoted post[/post]​
are you going for a commercial scale? if not, what you are trying to do is not a financially viable approach. as i have said before why not draw it directly on the board. there are so many ways to do it neatly. the neatness of your board will largely depend on your etching skill. thin lines are hard to produce neatly if you are not adept in etching. ;)