PCB transfers

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Does anyone know if they still sell the old PCB making transfers? You know, the ones that are self stick shapes that used to be used to make PCB's. I'm having a hard time finding them, so any leads to somebody selling them will be appreciated.

HarveyH42

Joined Jul 22, 2007
Wow, that's an oldie. I know I still have a folder with a bunch of those rub on designs, from before toner transfer, even perfboard. Couldn't even guess where to look in this clutter. They must still be around, don't think they go bad with storage, and were quite common. Might check some surplus sites.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
@HarveyH42 - yeah, I know it's old technology, but then so am I. :) I guess I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and take the time to learn one of the pcb/cad programs. None of them so far are very intuitive to me, but then again I don't know enough about computer stuff either. Can barely figure out posting in forums. :(

HarveyH42

Joined Jul 22, 2007
I searched through my bookmarked surplus sites, didn't find any. Search for the product name 'Direct Etch' and the maker 'Datek', didn't go to Digikey, to see if the still stock it, but apparently the company still makes it.

I use PCB Wizard, for artwork, and LiveWire for circuit design, same company, and they work together. Not sure if it's still being sold, or what the free trial policy is these days. I got the free version years ago, worked fine for my needs, so never purchased, or updated. It was only limited to size and complexity, which was quite generous.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
HarveyH42, Yeah I did the round of all the surplus and electronics places too :) They see to be available in the UK but not in the US:(

The pcb programs and toner transfer seem to have become the new standard. I have both of the cd's for "Circuit Wizard" and "Live Wire" Plus all the different free programs on the net, just have to take time to learn them.

Thanks for your help!

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
@ radiohead - that is all I could find too. But that isn't what I am looking for. They used to make transfers that looked like the dip socket mounting with the holes and you put hem on the blank board. They also came with circles to use as pads and a thin roll of tape that you mad your circuit layout with. Then you etched the board and removed the transfers and drilled the holes.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
@rdl2004 - Welcome to AAC! Glad you joined! Searched every combination I could think of ,but not that one.

To everyone ,thanks for helping! This place and you guys are the best!

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Well so much for fining the transfers :( After finding the brand name for them and calling all across the US, all of the stores said the same thing - no longer made! So on to learn pcb/cad.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Ever tried using a sharpie marker? I haven't but I've heard it works. Could save you the hassle of learning how to use the software.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
I'd used Staedtler permanent Lumocolor markers in red (for overhead projectors) with better results than Sharpies. Those Lumocolor pens I had to order, though. I still use them for touch-ups with laser toner transfers.