PCB Standards

scubasteve_911

Joined Dec 27, 2007
"Printed Circuit Board Design Techniques for EMC Compliance" Second Edition, Mark I. Montrose, IEEE Press Series on Electronics Technology

I love this book :)

Steve

Skeebopstop

Joined Jan 9, 2009
"Printed Circuit Board Design Techniques for EMC Compliance" Second Edition, Mark I. Montrose, IEEE Press Series on Electronics Technology

I love this book :)

Steve
Do you know of any more recent references, or is this 2000 version still considered adequate?

While on that matter, do you have any other references for design in general to help one design with conformance to other standards, such as UL etc..

Standards can be pricey and I thought maybe there were books out there which apply much of the standards knowledge, saving one much of the cost of having to purchase the standards.

The other issue of course, is always finding the right standard, so a book summarizing keypoints from a plethora of standards would be groovy.

Cheerio

ddyarwood

Joined Feb 25, 2009
Perhaps you just wish to lay out the circuit yourself ?? There are some wonderful free programs on the web with in-depth tutorials to boot, my choice is one by Allan Wright at www.freepcb.com It's fairly intuitive to use but it did not have a "group-and-move" and it couldn't make a print without another program from Pentalogix called Viewmate (again free) another is www.eaglepcb.com it's really intuitive and comes with a huge library of parts but is limited to 2.75 x 2.75 inches and 2 layers and another is www.expresspcb.com it's a small, limited program but very useful if you need some pcb's in a hurry (one stop shopping) Another I haven't tried is Zuken's cadstar Express from www.cadstarworld.com with limits on holecount and part numbers, hope this helps you ddyarwood

Skeebopstop

Joined Jan 9, 2009
Perhaps you just wish to lay out the circuit yourself ?? There are some wonderful free programs on the web with in-depth tutorials to boot, my choice is one by Allan Wright at www.freepcb.com It's fairly intuitive to use but it did not have a "group-and-move" and it couldn't make a print without another program from Pentalogix called Viewmate (again free) another is www.eaglepcb.com it's really intuitive and comes with a huge library of parts but is limited to 2.75 x 2.75 inches and 2 layers and another is www.expresspcb.com it's a small, limited program but very useful if you need some pcb's in a hurry (one stop shopping) Another I haven't tried is Zuken's cadstar Express from www.cadstarworld.com with limits on holecount and part numbers, hope this helps you ddyarwood
I use Altium Designer at work and sometimes Eagle at home for hobby stuff. The basics are quite clear, I am more talking creepage clearances at 600V and how to reduce them by notching PCBs.

I am under the guise that IPC 2221 has all 'general' information one needs to do both high and low power designs.

We have a copy at work but the guy is taking ages to get back to me with it.