PCB Relay question

zeebow

Joined Oct 26, 2007
Hi All,

Are there any PCB type relays which as soon as they dedect a small voltage pulse at their input, will switch on a custom circuit and leave it on, while as soon as they detect a second voltage pulse at the input will simply switch off the circuits.

Maybe its not a relay I should be looking for. Any suggestions?

Thank you

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
You might be able to find an impulse latching relay that will work for the application. The magnitude of the voltage pulse and the nature of the load (volltage and current draw) will have lots of influence on the relay.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Beg to differ about the relays. Panasonic makes a variety of single coil latching relays that operate from 1.5 volts up to 24 volts. Look for the ASX2101 - ASX21024 series relays. Digi-Key carries them. They also come in SMT styles. There are several other series by Panasonic that can carry more load current.

bloguetronica

Joined Apr 27, 2007
Beg to differ about the relays. Panasonic makes a variety of single coil latching relays that operate from 1.5 volts up to 24 volts. Look for the ASX2101 - ASX21024 series relays. Digi-Key carries them. They also come in SMT styles. There are several other series by Panasonic that can carry more load current.
Do they unlatch with another signal, as said by the thread opener? Latching relays can be easily made with a standard relay. You just feedback from the NO contact to the coil. Once a signal is applied to the coil, the coil will close the contact, which will feed the coil, and it is a latching relay. You can unlatch such relay by applying another signal. Only mechanical latching relays that have two coils are capable of that.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Yes they do -that is why they are specifically called latching relays. I am using a larger version to control lights in my basement.

bloguetronica

Joined Apr 27, 2007
Yes they do -that is why they are specifically called latching relays. I am using a larger version to control lights in my basement.
They probably have electronics, and so, they are relay devices, not relays.

No but if you put a switch or contacts in series with the coil, you certainly can open a latched relay.
Exacly!

You can open a dual-coil latching relay with a second pulse. No extra switch is needed.
Yes, but you have to apply the signal to the opposite coil.