PCB problem

legolas11

Joined Feb 26, 2013
in post 7, it is the top of the board and the resistor pin is soldered on the other side. As i said my soldering skill is not good. it did not sit completely while soldering.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
are you sure the holes are plated through, i.e. a trace that connects to a pin from one side is already connected by copper to the other side, before you solder it?

legolas11

Joined Feb 26, 2013
I received another board (same unsoldered) and I just soldered input pin, connected them to the source. then measured the voltage in resistance pin(of the input) vs different GND point of the circuit. Its ok.. Then I soldered the IC holder (that holds DIP IC, don't know the name) and the same problem!!! so now I just have soldered the input pin and IC holder and even did not place IC. and I can not get the voltage.....What on earth could be the problem with placing that holder. Why without it is fine and with it is wrong.....
Something is seriously wrong with board probably......
I would like to order from another company. But before that I would like confirm there is no issue with design. Can you please check whether my layout is ok or not...

pwdixon

Joined Oct 11, 2012
I received another board (same unsoldered) and I just soldered input pin, connected them to the source. then measured the voltage in resistance pin(of the input) vs different GND point of the circuit. Its ok.. Then I soldered the IC holder (that holds DIP IC, don't know the name) and the same problem!!! so now I just have soldered the input pin and IC holder and even did not place IC. and I can not get the voltage.....What on earth could be the problem with placing that holder. Why without it is fine and with it is wrong.....
Something is seriously wrong with board probably......
I would like to order from another company. But before that I would like confirm there is no issue with design. Can you please check whether my layout is ok or not...
Can you post am image of the ic holder and the blank/empty pcb?

pwdixon

Joined Oct 11, 2012
I've used that type of holder before and they don't normally cause any problems so I'm not sure how you could have found a difference in measurements just because you soldered in the holder. This is definitely a clue to what's going wrong though. \it could be your setup rather than the circuit itself. You may somehow have an unreliable measurement method that ls leading you to believe the circuit is misbehaving, find out why the connector make s a difference before moving on as anything else is just a misleading over complication of the problem.

legolas11

Joined Feb 26, 2013
I've used that type of holder before and they don't normally cause any problems so I'm not sure how you could have found a difference in measurements just because you soldered in the holder. This is definitely a clue to what's going wrong though. \it could be your setup rather than the circuit itself. You may somehow have an unreliable measurement method that ls leading you to believe the circuit is misbehaving, find out why the connector make s a difference before moving on as anything else is just a misleading over complication of the problem.
Ofcourse I don't believe the problem coming from that holder! me myself used it many times before.

And i agree, this to be point to stop seek out the issue. But my measurement method and circuit is completely ok, since I already mentioned I had been using them both in breadboard and vero board. So if I leave that issue, the remaining is soldering. I already said I am pretty bad in soldering but that never caused a problem in veroboard (which is normal). Since its my first time soldering PCB, my question is can a bad soldering of a pin to pad can lead to unexpected voltage drop????
I am asking this because one of the pin(#5) of IC is grounded. so I soldered input pins and IC holder means they are connected through that pin.