PCB Placement

Zeebit

Joined Nov 8, 2013
I plan on placing the regulator circuit of my PSU project above the transformer to save space and make it compact. There is about 0.7" of air gap between the top of the transformer and the bottom of the pcb.

Transformer I'm using: http://www.ebay.com/itm/100W-220V-R-Core-Power-Transformer-Selectable-Values-/321220652796

The pcb is just the old school single sided type.

Here is the regulator circuit I built

Will placing the pcb as stated above be okay? Won't there be interference or something?

Zeebit

Joined Nov 8, 2013
I would appreciate it if someone knowledgeable could give me an answer. I need to know ASAP so that I can place an order for the enclosure and have it shipped out before the Chinese New Year.

Thanks.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
I don´t think the position between the two matters. Just don´t forget to add a hefty heatsink on both the transistor and the regulator.

Zeebit

Joined Nov 8, 2013
The LM317 only handles around 20mA so a tiny heatsink should do. I'll use a big sink and fan for the pass transistor.

Thanks for the feedback. Just wanted to hear from the experts here. :)

Zeebit

Joined Nov 8, 2013
Just a follow up question. I don't want to create another thread just for this so I thought I'd just ask here.

The traffo I'm using has two 12v-0v secondaries and I will series them and use a bridge rectifier to get a split rail output.

I will be connecting the two winding like shown:
Please ignore the wrong voltage.

But since the traffo does not indicate which wire is 12 or which is 0, what would happen if I accidentally connect the winding in this manner? :

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009

Zeebit

Joined Nov 8, 2013
Is there a way to check with a voltmeter if I've wired it correctly (just the secondaries wired, no circuits connected)?

Edit: NVM, found the answer. Thanks for the help guys.

Last edited: