PCB Milling Machine Recommendation

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
I would like to hear recommendations from anyone using a PCB mill.
This for hobby PCBs. I would like to be able to do up to 160mm x 100mm, double sided boards, and I would be happy with 0.3mm tracks and separation.
I could assemble a kit but not make metal/wood/plastic parts accurately enough.
I am not rich :(

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
There are the cheap eBay machines but they don't really generate enough RPM to get good consistent results.

You could go with a hybrid development and drill holes but etch your runs. That is likely what I will be doing.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
There are the cheap eBay machines but they don't really generate enough RPM to get good consistent results.

You could go with a hybrid development and drill holes but etch your runs. That is likely what I will be doing.
That's why most of the Ebay sellers also sell high speed spindles as an accessory.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I have been struggling with making a decision on upgrading. But I don't want to though good money after bad.
If going with the popular Huanyang VFD c/w H.S. 3ph spindle you have to be very careful in setting up the parameters, if you go below a certain RPM you are in danger of burning out the spindle, even the water cooled version.
Max.

Last edited:

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
If going with the popular Huanyang VFD c/w H.S. 3ph spindle you have to be very careful insetting up the parameters, if you go below a certain RPM you are indanger of burning out the spindle, even the water cooled version.
Max.
It need to fit on those cheap Chinese routers. Does it? I don't think the mounting is very typical on those things.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009

That is very similar to the one I have. I think I have the "updated" power supply. The ones with the black case are supposed to be a little bit better.

You will either need to use Linux with Linux CNC or XP and Mach3.

An another alternative would be to swap out the controller with an Arduino and use GRBL. Then you can even use a tablet to control things if you want. I have everything to do that but just never put it all together.