PCB layout

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
The IC chip was invented in the USA. The standards were set in the 60s, around 50 years ago, maybe longer. Given these facts 0.1" is a hard standard. This isn't going to change. If you want to do electronics you need to get over it, and yes, metric doesn't work well with inches, but if inches are the standard then you need to know and get comfortable with both as required. The standards are just that. This isn't even an issue of the USA being a holdout, it is an issue of billions (trillions?) of parts having been made over the last half century, with more being made every year because if you tried to change now it would cause an even bigger mess. I like using protoboards, I can only visualize trying to mix and match metric on them.

CraigHB

Joined Aug 12, 2011
The IC chip was invented in the USA. The standards were set in the 60s, around 50 years ago, maybe longer. Given these facts 0.1" is a hard standard. This isn't going to change.
It has already changed.

I come across parts that are .1" pitch pretty rarely. About the only thing I still use with a .1" pitch are pin headers and maybe a switch or something here and there. I could use metric pin headers though. I just have a bunch of old ones on-hand so I keep using them. I have some breadboards that are .1", but rarely use them.

Most of the time, I build my stuff staight to PCB with SMD stuff which is mostly metric now. There are still a few chips I come across with 1.27mm pin pitches or things like switches with 2.54mm pin pitches (and that's the stuff that annoys me), but it doesn't happen all the time.

Because integrated circuits were invented in the USA decades ago using an archaic system of measurement is really not a good reason to keep using it in my opinion. We've been using SI units in pure science for decades. I don't think we should keep using an antiquated system for any reason when the rest of the world went metric decades ago.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Feed through pins other than 0.1" for ICs? I challenge that statement. Even relatively modern chips such as Arduino and PICs use the old standard. I suspect you are talking surface mount, which some hobbiests use and some don't. I did mention protoboard breadboards, you won't find another metric standard there either.

I helped Alcatel set up their first pick and place line for there surface mount line. The technology has changed quite a bit since then.