PCB Fabrication

Skeebopstop

Joined Jan 9, 2009
Hi All,

I recently had our production manager come back to me and ask that I alter a 4 layer PCB design to the 'cheap way' in the attachment, versus the 'expensive way' I used.

Can anyone comment on this? Are there any repercussions of me allowing him to alter the process?

Regards

Attachments

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
How high frequencies is this board? The only pitfall I see is dielectric constants of the board, and that would only affect really high frequencies. I have to say I'm no expert in this though, just my 2¢.

Oh, then there is voltage breakdown, which is less common as an issue.

Skeebopstop

Joined Jan 9, 2009
How high frequencies is this board? The only pitfall I see is dielectric constants of the board, and that would only affect really high frequencies. I have to say I'm no expert in this though, just my 2¢.

Oh, then there is voltage breakdown, which is less common as an issue.
I did find an e-book which discussed this briefly. Although prepreg is the same material, I guess the tracks are more prone to 'sink in' a bit during fabrication and as such the thickness can be slightly less than intended.

This would impact the dielectric and clearances slightly, but as far as I can tell this cannot be predicted to such a degree and must be assumed to be the same as the core.

I don't see any reason why this assumption is not valid, considering the material is the same, only the process of application differes.

I have always used the standard method of board production. We made processor boards with clocks of 30 and 40 MHz. Our analog sectioins routinely went up to about 1 MHz.

Even the other division of the company, working on RF circuits, used the standard method of board production.

Unless you have a specific reason, that is somewhat measurable and reproducible, I would always start with the standard method. The standard method is pretty flexible with layer thicknesses and such.

There's 2 more cents.