PCB Critique

Return

Joined Jan 5, 2013
So I made a simple led sign that I etched myself but now want to have it manufactured.

I never made a 2 layer board so here are some questions I have.

1. You don't need via's when connecting tht components from top to bottom, right?

2. I know it's good to have a ground plane but I'm using the Fritizing app and unsure how to go about this. Are their any downsides to not having one since I'm only using leds and not sensitive components?

(Gold is top layer, bronze is bottom)

Attachments

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
What do you mean by connecting tht components from top to bottom? If there are traces at the component which need to be connected, then vias are necessary. If there are traces on the top layer (eg the layer opposite where you're soldering) then a via is necessary. I almost always use a via and always solder from the side opposite the components. I don't specify a via only when having mounting holes drilled.

As far as the ground plane, switching LEDs can generate lot of noise and a ground plane will help. It also simplified the trace routing. I don't use Fritzing, but the app I use has a simple procedure for adding a ground plane (or power plane. I use ExpressPCB).

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
There is a slight difference between a "via" and a "plated through hole"..
A via is a plated through hole used for the purpose of electrically connecting traces from one layer to the other
A plated through hole accomplishes the same task but is also meant to be used as a solder point/hole for through hole components.

You don't need to add a via if the plated through hole is making the connection already.

And you more than likely will not need a ground plane if you don't want one..
A copper pour on both sides (assuming double sided) will just help with the manufacturing process and can be used to create ground/signal planes if needed.
But if fritzing can't do it then don't worry about it.

Return

Joined Jan 5, 2013
Hello,

The led 60 - 63 are missing a series resistor.

Bertus
60 - 63 are connected to R15

What do you mean by connecting tht components from top to bottom? If there are traces at the component which need to be connected, then vias are necessary. If there are traces on the top layer (eg the layer opposite where you're soldering) then a via is necessary. I almost always use a via and always solder from the side opposite the components. I don't specify a via only when having mounting holes drilled.

As far as the ground plane, switching LEDs can generate lot of noise and a ground plane will help. It also simplified the trace routing. I don't use Fritzing, but the app I use has a simple procedure for adding a ground plane (or power plane. I use ExpressPCB).
I had jumpers connecting the resistors to gnd that are now the top traces. I'll go ahead and use a via to connect them to the bottom plane then.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
A recommendation: Fatter traces rarely hurt -- when you have the room -- and often help with signal integrity and voltage drops on long, high-current runs. They also help marginally with heat management.

The only drawback is that fat traces draw more heat from a solder pad during soldering. This is rarely a problem with automated solder wave or reflow, but can cause problems when hand soldering.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
So I made a simple led sign that I etched myself but now want to have it manufactured.
Using a PCB vendor is a "garbage in, garbage out" process: they tend to build what you say, not what you meant. So check and recheck it carefully.

1. You don't need via's when connecting tht components from top to bottom, right?
No, but typically to get from top to bottom you use a "plated thru hole" which is the industry standard. There should be no additional cost for this step as it is standard in the vendor's process.

You may be able to negotiate a slightly lower cost by not plating thru, but this is so slight it isn't worth the bother.

Somewhat curiously, adding non-plated thru holes to a plated thru hole board usually entails an extra cost, as the vendor needs an extra drilling step to do this.
2. I know it's good to have a ground plane but I'm using the Fritizing app and unsure how to go about this. Are their any downsides to not having one since I'm only using leds and not sensitive components?
You will be safe without a ground plane, but do use thicker traces as suggested.

Lestraveled

Joined May 19, 2014
I agree with joey999, fatten up you traces, especially the common/ground connection. There are a lot of parts pulling current through that trace.

There is another benefit to fatter traces; less chance that the trace will be undercut during etching. Modern PCB manufacturers are really good with small traces. It's just a good thing to do. There is no downside to a fatter power trace if there is space to spare.

Mark

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
If at all possible, consider orienting all the LEDs in the same direction, this saves so much headache when assembling and debugging a board like this.

Use a heavy power traces with thinner ones coming off to service the smaller branch circuits.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
And ditch fritzing and move to a better PCB design program.. :)
Then you can do all the fun stuff like copper pours,thermal reliefs,etc.. with ease.

I'll recommend Diptrace.. as they have a free version and IMO its a very easy to learn software with a decent library and simple new part creation process..