PC USB Oscilloscope

RodneyB

Joined Apr 28, 2012
I am looking for some advice on purchasing a PC USB oscilloscope. I have no idea what to look for and what to order. Can I have some guidance? I looked on e bay and they range from US$22.00 to thousands so really don’t know what to look for. If someone could suggest a reasonable entry level unit I would be most grateful.

Secondly I have Brunelle CRT oscilloscope which I would like to learn to use. Can someone direct me to a site which has step by step instructions for a beginner.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
If you have a functional CRT oscilloscope at home I 'd suggest you didn't buy a PC USB one.
The extra things the USB oscilloscopes provide (depending on model) is logic analyzer function and waveform capture. If you do need those things, then, yes, a USB o'scope purchase is justified.

LDC3

Joined Apr 27, 2013
If you don't need anything above 40 kHz, then you can use the free program WinScope. It uses the mic in on the sound card to capture the information.

If you don't need anything above 40 kHz, then you can use the free program WinScope. It uses the mic in on the sound card to capture the information.
I second this. I found a different free program simply called 'Scope' and it does the same thing. Beats paying hundreds of dollars for a bulky thing to sit on your desktop.

w2aew

Joined Jan 3, 2012
I am looking for some advice on purchasing a PC USB oscilloscope. I have no idea what to look for and what to order. Can I have some guidance? I looked on e bay and they range from US$22.00 to thousands so really don’t know what to look for. If someone could suggest a reasonable entry level unit I would be most grateful.

Secondly I have Brunelle CRT oscilloscope which I would like to learn to use. Can someone direct me to a site which has step by step instructions for a beginner.
There's a sticky thread in this section that includes a link video on the basics of oscilloscopes.
http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=64241

There are dozens more oscilloscope (and other tutorials) on the same YouTube channel
Http://www.youtube.com/w2aew