PC Terminal specs and connector

_Anthony_

Joined Mar 16, 2013
I am working with an SPDT switch with "PC Pin" connectors: http://www.ck-components.com/66840/np_15jan13.pdf/

I'd like to use a version with flying leads, but have not found them in stock, so I have a version with PC pins. Now I am looking for how to attach the pins.

The spec seems to show the pin as 0.7mm across. Visually the pin is flat rather than round, though the drawing seems to show round. I can't work out the spacing of the pins at all.

Is this a standard pin size? Is the pin spacing a standard size? Is there any standard connector that would plug into it?

Thanks

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
The PC pins are stamped from flat stock so would not be round. The other dimension is not given other than that which could be inferred from the PC hole pattern. I might hazard a guess that its .040 (made of the same stock as the solder type) but that's pure conjecture.

There wouldn't be a standard connector for the whole switch. You might be able to find some crimp and poke contacts that would slide over the pin but that would be iffy. If you need a disconnect, solder wires to the pins, cover with heat shrink and pin the wires out to a connector you can use.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Have you checked for "termination" #3 in stock? Thats solder lugs and will make attaching wires MUCH easier. Sure you can wrap and solder some wire around the PC pins but its not the easiest/cleanest/most elegant solution.
Of course there are also hundreds of other switches just like that from other vendors and they will more than likely have the solder tab in stock.

_Anthony_

Joined Mar 16, 2013
Thanks. I am puzzled about what it is supposed to pin into? Is the implication that it requires a custom PCB using the angular measurements they give (the four pins are a rectangle, obviously, but they give angular measurements around the centre of the round switch); or is it a standard pin layout that I don't recognise? Ideally I'd like to find a bit of board to connect it to, and then take my leads from there.

_Anthony_

Joined Mar 16, 2013
I agree, I can try to find another switch, but this one meets my requirement very well. Its waterproof, has a good clicking action, about the right size, 1 million cycles, < 5ms bounce. I tried another, from APEM, also very expensive, but I discovered it has no clicking action.
Before throwing this one out I was curious to see if there is a standard way to fit them. I was puzzled why I don't see any measurements for fitting them in the datasheet.

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
I was puzzled why I don't see any measurements for fitting them in the datasheet.
Its just that there doesn't need to be for a PC or skywire mount. That leaves the switch designers the freedom to allow the termination wherever its convenient. Other switch series like the MTA miniature toggles have a more standardized layout. IDEC, OTTO and other industrial switch makers have some standardized, pluggable contacts but $$$.